e835 vs. SM58

mooringp

Which do you think would be better mics for a church, used for live vocals only the sennheiser e835 or shure sm58?

mooringp said:
Which do you think would be better mics for a church, used for live vocals only the sennheiser e835 or shure sm58?
You are asking as a matter of opinon. I would go with the E835, however I own one. I did not like the SM58. Many folks here will tell you that the SM85 is the one to go with.

However, none of this matters because not one of us is going to use the mic or record with it. Go to the store (take the preacher with you - if it's you that would be very convenient) and have him/her test both mics. Then ask him what he liked better. I'm assuming you are only buying one?

If you have phantom power available and your budget will accomodate it have a listen to the E865 this will give you very clear and crisp vocals.
Not too sure about asking the preacher to choose though, Divine intervention has its limits. :)

Tony

paddyponchero said:
I vote for the e835

I vote for the SM58 :) (because it suits my voice better).

So looks like Dracon has come up with a pretty decent plan.

If you are unable to audition them for whatever reason I'd go with the Senn purely because it's cheaper.

sorry I should have clarified what I'm looking for, this mic will be for the youth music so it will get used by a lot of people for singing and talking and probably take a beating, so the question is first which will sound better of a wider range of voice and second which one won't break, and by the way thanks for the input everyone.

From what I heard, the Sennheiser e-series mics are superior to the SM58 sound-wise, but the SM58 can take one hell of a beating. It depends where your priorities lie: durability or quality?

I overpaid for my SM58, which I intended to use for vocal recording, and was bitterly disappointed. I still feel like a jackass. If I could go back and time, I'd slap myself and buy a condensor.

mooringp said:
sorry I should have clarified what I'm looking for, this mic will be for the youth music so it will get used by a lot of people for singing and talking and probably take a beating, so the question is first which will sound better of a wider range of voice and second which one won't break, and by the way thanks for the input everyone.
Based on this I would choose the sm58

I also work with youth at church, and I've never seen anyone break a sm58. If Tonka made a mic, it would be the 58. That being said, Sennheiser makes some great sounding stuff. Why not get one of each?

I've lead worhip at church with sm58's and Sennhiser e-series mics. I would suggest that you go with the SM58. I think it sounds "brighter" or "more open" than the sennhiser. Of course the rest of your PA system will help define the way each mic sounds. Demo-ing in a music store will provide little help since the music store won't have your exact PA system in your space. If the music store is reputable they will let you take one of each for a weekend and see which one you like. As long as you buy one or the other, you should be able to work out that kind of deal. And I too have NEVER seen a broken 58 in my life. Dented ones? Yes, but they still performed like champs!

SM58!!!!

I guess church isn't to most aggressive envionment for a 58 :) I've seen plenty of them at live venues here with the top of the grille knoked off or with the top of the grille taped or glued on. They usually survive fine when dropped but if the stand goes over with mic attached it's a bit like a hammer. The e-series seem to survive better.

Phobophile said:
I overpaid for my SM58, which I intended to use for vocal recording, and was bitterly disappointed. I still feel like a jackass. If I could go back and time, I'd slap myself and buy a condensor.
Man! Don't you hate that? If you can try out the MXL V67G, go and try it out. It's a really inexpensive condenser mic, but it sounds pretty sweet (well compared to other cheap Condensers like the MXL 990). I bought one without even testing it (bass to baritone voice) on e-bay ($99 w/shock mount, ring mount, and a crappy 20' XLR). I was very apprehensive but I've yet to be dissapointed. The V67G gives a nice coloration on the bottom end (bass), which I love.

Back