E.Q. suggestions please

twist

Two very old songs I recorded in my living room about ten years ago. Done on a four track with junk mics. I want to put some of this old stuff on a CD so I can get rid of the tapes, and not be tempted to mess with it anymore!

I'm not a piano player, in fact I couldn't play these songs now if you put a gun to my head. Well maybe if I practised for a month straight. But I was pretty happy with the performance all things considered.

I'm not about to re-track anything here, but I would like some E.Q. suggestions before I commit them to CD. ALL comments welcome!

Thanks in advance if you've got the time.

Twist

http://www.nowhereradio.com/artists/album.php?aid=2427&alid=-1

Songs 4 and 5.

Listening to She's Got A Way....

You can't make it sound any better, I'm afraid. EQ and denoisers would even destroy it, IMO.

I don't mind the hiss, the popping sounds in the vocals, or anything at all in the 'sound' department.

Your brilliant voice touched my soul, man! The most important thing in music...you did it! :)

Wow

Very good singing

John Denver, Billy Joel come to mind.

Good idea getting these tunes preserved digitally
I would reconsider retracking She's got a Way.
I LIKE that song

Thankyou my friends. I truly wish that these were better recordings, but I want to move on........ I just wondered if I could improve them at all before I put them away.

Thanks again

Twist

Damn bro, i see where your daughter got her voice now;) . Yeah i agree with the above statements...i think eq or anything else might make it worse. But damn boy, what a VOICE! Billy Joel aint got diddly on you man. I enjoyed this much.

The woman who sings Debussy is your daughter, Twist? :eek:

Wow, she's great too! :)

What a family...

Hey good job on the high parts and yes your voice does sound remarkably close to his whole tone and timbre.

nice singing twist! that piano is hurting man (not the playing). get it tuned :).

i really wouldn't do anything to this but get it into your computer and on to CD like it is.

you gotta post more stuff man. i really like your voice.

edit....i just realized that i used 'man' twice and it sounds weird man. later man.

nother edit.....my kid still likes the debussy, as do i.

you can sing good fella. I admire you. THis sounds good to be ten years old. I think you got it mixed well.

David: Thanks man, but Sarah will be a far better singer than
I've ever hoped to be. Good for her!

Ped: Yep, that's my girl. She's 20.

Khompewtur: Thanks for the listen. Yeah, I only rip off the best!

Erichenry: The piano is in perfect tune, it's my playing that's off! Seriously, though it's not how I make my living, I am a trained piano technician,and you know what they say,"It's always the cobblers' kids that have holes in their shoes". The piano is a 100 yr. old baby grand, and some of the strings just aint what they used to be. I wish I only had to change guitar strings every 100 years! It has been tuned since this recording though. You're right, it needed it!

Toki: Thanks! I guess I'll just burn it the way it is then.

I would bring it in to digital with no EQ.

Burn a couple of disks for backup, then play with the mix on a decent set of monitors to tweak. When you have a sound you're happy with... label that one "post EQ" and you'll know what that means.

Some cool tunes and you got a decent voice. You just need to find your own style... working with original material will help.

Thanks for posting them!

No suggestions for eq, but unless you've got great gear I'd say burn then as is in as separate tracks as possible, that way if you later have access to HQ eqs and noise removal gear you'll have the original to work with.

Really great songs, worth the effort to preserve and clean up.

For preservation purposes, I think these are perfect. You can hear everything very clearly (listening to Have A Little Faith)

Damn, you can sing! :D

Okay, listening to She's Got A Way now.
Sounds fine as is and is a great document for what you were up to 10 years ago.

Don't fret about the playing. You accompany yourself well on these tunes.

Nice job!

:D

I really don't have any EQ suggestions for you.....I agree you should preserve these digitally....very "real" sounding stuff....good peformance with "feel".....I wouldn't change a thing.

Don't you dare touch this on the way in!

Feel free to tweak on a copy after the transfer, but I don't think you'll be able to improve it much.;)

If it were me I wouldn't be throwing those tapes out just yet either. Just put 'em in a steel box, and put the box somewhere that has a very stable temp.

Did you write 'From a Boy to a Girl' or did Erland? I didn't see him credited so now I'm wondering if he covered your song?

I listened to both tunes.. very cool B.J. remake.. It didn't click when I first saw the title.. Did you write it or did Billy Joel cover your song? I didn't see him credited so now I'm wondering..

:D

cool songs twist.. I would just add a gentle limiter setting to even out the levels.. I wouldn't e.q. it unless you had one of those rediculously expensive ones.. It doesn't sound bad though..

Doug Q: Thanks, good suggestions. I haven't written many songs in my life, and the ones I have are of a similar sonic quality to this, which is why they're not posted. Maybe someday.

Doug H: Yes I can keep the tracks separate, and I think you're right. That's what I'll do. Thanks!

Boydrj: You're right , it is what it is, and so it shall be!

Mac: Thanks for the listen!

Mbrane: Yeah, that's the problem with tape. They won't last forever...oh yeah, and hissssssssssss......

Sammy: My bad. You're right. I shouldn't have taken it for granted that everyone would know the authors of these tunes! I won't leave them up much longer. And thanks for the listen and reply. It is much appreciated!

Twist

Love the throat. The only thing that you might (MIGHT) try, is rolling off the super lows on the entire track of "She's Got A Way." It seems like the mic picked up more half plosives and other *bump* noise...if you tried rolling off the lowest of the lows from the entire mix, I don't think it'd effect the pno, and it might clean up the vocal track.

At any rate...LOVE THE THROAT.

Thanks chris. Yeah that would be great - the upload I mean.

Ummm... what magic box you talkin bout?

Twist

Wow! Thanks Chris, very kind of you! I cant listen just now, but I've dl'ed for later. Thanks again!

Twist

You can delete them whenever you wish.

Back