E.Q. question

Raoul

Another newbie question. When recording vocals and guitars I usally set the channel's EQ ( high and low) down to zero. I kinda like the result. Adding highs just make the sound thin and lows- muddy. Only during playback that I set it to my desired setting. I read Eric Johnson did the same thing during Ah Via Musicom in a magazine interview sometime in 1991. Am I doing the right thing? Any recommendations?Thanks in advance and happy recording.

If by "down to zero" you mean center-position, no boost or cut applied, then yes... that's a good technique. The point is to get the sound to tape right the first time, without resorting to EQ, which especially when boosting, can add unwanted phase anomalies which will muck up your sound.

When mixing down, under ideal conditions, if you got the sound you wanted down to tape, you should at most, need only minor EQ tweaks (in the order of 2-3 db).

Bruce Valeriani
Blue Bear Sound

The one exception I have found is if you are applying EQ to a poorly balanced source (i.e. tape source similar to a VHS camera snuck into a concert to record a bootleg...) you can get by with more gain or cut...I've used up to +/-9dB for certain frequencies....usually bass and mid.

Since the original source tape is not ideal, the benefit from the EQ seems to outweigh the drawbacks...so what the heck. If you are going to hear a little noise anyway you might as well hear the bass drum and cymbals...and not have it all drown out by the guitar.

zip

Back