E-mu 1820M opinions?

Bass Jas

I am so close to buying this, but testimonials must be taken with a grain of salt. So I am asking for opinions from people I trust here.
System:
Athlon 64 (3200+)
1 gig RAM
DVD+- RW
Asus K8V dlx board
Win XP Pro
Cubase SX 2.0

My primary reason is ease of use in Cubase for overdubs and for
mixing from Qbase, I track with a Mackie 32x8 to an Alesis HD24XR,
but I need to get back to the monitor amp from PC for higher res.
and less noise.
I am funny about D/A conversion inside the beige box, I can hear
the noise.
Anyone who owns this card/setup plz chime in.
Thanks, J

Bass, Fairly good picks. I have the Emu card and it is amazing might be nice to have the extra EMU cds though. For your CPU get a Winchester model (note: pretty much all the AMD64 s have screamingly quick latencies alike to dual processor boards) and a NForce 3 250 or 4 (when avail). The MSI and DFI boards are bit more killer I think. Maxter's new SATA HD with 16Megs cache would be a wise choice aparently performs near par to the Raptor. Get good advice for your memory it may actually be your most important decision here, in my opinion~but let us know what you come up with, alright?

Good stuff

the 1820M is excellent. It's one of my top pics and from what I've read the only limitations are: Not rackmountable, and it can't convert 44.1k files above 48k, although supposedly you can record at 96k, not that there's a need. ;)

It's a great product for the money. If you want something rackmountable, I'm looking into the Aardvark Q10.

Peace

-J

The 1820M box is a standard half rack, and E-mu does sell a rack mount kit for it.

Can't convert 44 above 48? That's...a very weird thing to point out. I don't get what you're trying to say. What hardware out there does do onboard hardware resampling as an explicit feature? And it actually does do this in one particular way (as do most interfaces...like the Aardvark you mention) if you consider driver compatibility with Windows realtime sample rate conversion to be that.

And there's no supposedly about it. it records at 96 and 192...it just takes away some of your inputs when you do it. At 96, the 1820M has 12 input recording simultaneous, while at 192, it can do 4.

My take is this:

The 1820M is a fine hardware piece which sounds excellent and offers many routing options. The Patchmix software used to control it isn't perfect, and many people find themselves stumped by it. If you work with it, it's not hard at all, but it is somewhat clunky for doing the simple stuff that people will use it for 98% of the time. The mic preamps are quite fine sounding...though possibly too hot, and it doesn't offer a pad for the hottest condensers.

The biggest issue is with drivers. If you're using something like Cool Edit or Adobe Audition which uses the WDM driver model for accessing sound cards... don't get it. E-mu hasn't made good WDM drivers for this sound card. Actually, they're downright bad. You don't get multi-channel in and out with WDM. It also doesn't support GSIF (Gigasampler) or stacking multiple E-mu cards in a system...nope, no 36 inputs in a computer for 1000 bucks. It doesn't support bit-accurate passing of streams on the SPDIF connections, if you want to use the soundcard to pass digital surround streams to a decoder. There is no 88.2 kHz recording feature. You can't use both a coax and optical SPDIF device simultaneously.

These are features the vast majority of sound cards out there support. OTOH, if you're absolutely sure you don't need this capability, the E-mu cards are fantastic offerings to consider...possibly the best under 1000. Above that, offerings from MOTU and RME trump the E-mu in terms of options and expansion possibilities, but not necessarily in pure sound quality.

as always bass before spending a lot of money on multitrack software
i recommend you demo powertracks that i use for 49 bucks.
and compare to other multitrack software offerings.
particularly brought to my attention recently and i always forget about is powertracks ability to print out musical notation, and many other options
as well. usefull for songwriters.
i would also try multitrackstudio.com as well. up to you.
for lots of money i would also suggest checking out samplitude.

You really like doing the whole powertracks thing.

In the first post, he mentioned that he's using Cubase.

And he's asking specifically about the E-mu...not about software.

Oh, and to my post above, I forgot to note that the E-mu works great with Cubase...it should, since it actually comes with Cubase VST 5.1 (192 kHz capable version) bundled. I use it with friends tracks, though for my own I use Sonar...

hill. in his msg - he said he was "close to buying this".
but there are still features in what i use that were recently brought to my attention by another user that he might find usefull.

A quick comment about Cubase and the Echo Layla 3G: there have been sporadic reports (mainly on the Steinberg forums) relating to a potential problem with the new 3G stuff and Cubase. I can't 100% advise against Echo's stuff as I own a Gina 24 myself, but I'd not jump right into the new stuff until a little time has passed for real-word use, and more opinions are develped on it all.

As far as software, try some different stuff out if you need to. Although I love Cubase and use it everyday, Steinberg has yet to create a demo for any newer version of Cubase after the initial version 1.0. Cakewalk, PG Music, and others do have recent demos so.....

If you've already used Cubase and find it easy, look into Cubase SX 3. Killer IMO.

People have mentioned the new EMU stuff too - I've seen some pretty good opinions of real-word use on the new stuff. Primary the models with "M" in them. Really decent converters with great sound.

Last edited:
Emu

EMU 1820M is a good choice as long as you use the ASIO drivers. It works fine with Sonar or Cubase. Excellent converters for the price tag.

Back