E-16, just wondering

muttley

:) I was wondering if anyone would be interested in purchaseing my Fostex E-16 analogue tape machine with studio rollabout and glove box, the 4050 autolocater/timecode generator with rollabout, Mil. cable that goes in between, extra reels, new tape, cleaning, demag, tools.
right now I haven't made the decision yet, I know it has less than 50hrs on it total. Mint condition!!
Haven't decided price yet
About 10k invested in all of this package.
Lots of other stuff for it not mentioned
Is anyone interested???

da MUTT

Yes everything works well, sounds real good.

Sure, Id be interested in it in about a year or so if the price was around $750 to $1200 for the recorder and the remote.
Ive seen G-16's with Remote going for $1475 on average. With digital 24 tracks HD recorders dropping its hard for the narrow format recorders to sell for as much.

Peace,
SoMm

:cool: THe E-16 is twice the machine than any of the G-series, much heavier,larger, needle bearings on any thing that rotated or turned.
The G-series was a cheaper series to compete with alesis when alesis was first coming onto the market in '92.
this E-16 does travel at 30" per sec.

Yeah, tis a heavy beast. I like the E-16, but can't justify spending more than $1200 on one when I can get 24 track 24/96k HD recorders for not too much more. If I was going to spend 2k or more I probably go up to the 1" format 16 track if Iwere to stay analog.
Sounds like your trying to see whether you can unload it or not. Ive kept pretty good tabs on sales and I honestly see alot of these for $750. If you can relap the heads and get a tune-up for $250 then Its good deal. A 50 hr machine is nearly new, but its hard to ask what they were for new. Id keep it and add another recorder. But thats me.

SoMm

I have to agree on the pricing issues regarding r2r machines.

Regardless of how good a machine is, either in original build quality, or it's current condition, they just can't compete on a $ for $ basis with the new technologies.

Muttley, I was quite serious when I said in another thread that I would like to have an E16, as I am setup here with a Fostex 16 trk H/disk recorder through a Soundcraft 24/8 console and having tape synched in would increase my options greatly and I can pick an E16 up for $900Aust., ($540 US)..............the only thing stopping me at the moment is a limited budget and higher priorities.

:cool:

Now muttley, do you have anywhere to prove that the E16 was a more solid machine then the G16? I used to have an E16 and sold it a while ago. I'm thinking about picking up a newer G16 assuming that progress would have made it a better machine. Maybe it is your personal opinion or maybe not. If you have some credible sources on the net where I would appreciate it, since that might sway me back to an E16 instead.

To all concerned; It's OK, you don't have to buy the thing. :D

:) Put the E-16 and G-16 side by side, Look at the size of the mechanical components, motor, head stack, rollers, etc. Read the specs.

well, look at the size of the engines in cars in 1990 compared to those today. They are smaller and better in every respect today. that is not concrete enough of an example. I will go look for some spec sheets though.

Back