Dynaudio BM5A with Dynaudio BM9S sub: the correct settings

trifidmaster

Currently my monitor setup consist of the BM5A speakers, and the BM9S sub.

Can anybody tell me what settings should I use on the BM5A (for the highpass: flat, 60Hz or 80 Hz)
and in the same time on the BM9S sub (sat highpass settings?) and where should I turn the sub lowpass filter (50Hz-150Hz), phase, volume...

Perhaps it is very trivial for many users, but not for me.
Any help is very much welcome.

trif.

Personally, I would start with 60 hz on the sub and the tops, then try 80 hz. Take a listen to each with material you know. My bet is that it will sound better with the crossover centered around 80. You may end up leaving the tops passed at 80 and the sub notched down to more like 70. Depending on how well the drivers roll off, sometimes you actually get a boost where the sub and the top meets, so lowering your sub a little will often smooth out that hump. Ocassionally it even works the other way.

Out of curiosity, have you read the manual for bothe the subs and the tops? Dynaudio has always been good about including basic instructions on how to set up your speakers, how and where to place them etc....

xstatic,

Yes, I have read the manuals.

On the BM5A there is a swith: Flat/60Hz/80Hz.

On the sub there is a switch under the SAT/Sub section:Flat/60Hz/80Hz.

OK, Let say I set on the speakers 60 Hz and on the sub also 60Hz?
And ones this is done, to WHAT position should I put the Sub Lowpass trimmer - under the SETUP section of the sub? This trimmer goes from 50Hz to 150 Hz.

Further help is appreciated.

Thanks
trif.

Yeah, I have received the "correct" settings procedure form Dynaudio :D.

I tuned the BM9S sub + BM5A monitors settings - all checked by spectrum analysis measurments. It was a bit time consuming, but now the sub helps nicely :).

trif.

Back