Dynamic Shure Beta 58a or AT-2035 for vocal recording at home

Jay_V

Hello All,

I know the subject line might make some of you think, this is a wrong question to ask, but please bear with me.

I have read a lot on the forum to understand the difference between dynamic and condenser microphones. It would seem (although not a hard and fast rule), that condensers are better for studio recording and dynamic are better for live performances.

I have also read some of you say that a high quality dynamic is better than cheaper condensers and am also aware that some of the professionals have used dynamic microphones in studios to record their vocals.

I was hoping that if I describe what I am looking to do with it, some of you who are more experienced in this area may be able to give some direction.

I am not a professional and recording my vocals over a karaoke back track using Audacity is more of a hobby and that is exactly what I intend to do with my gear. Please note that room I record in is not acoustically treated nor do I plan to do so. The room is not sound proof, but luckily I live in an area that is relatively quiet, but occasionally hear very faint aircraft noise when one flies over my house or a car passing by in the residential cul de sac. (I do NOT stay close to the airport :)).

I do plan to buy Scarlett Focusrite 2i2, but am torn between Shure Beta 58a or Audio Technica 2035.

My worry with AT-2035 is that it might be too sensitive to capture any small noises I mentioned above and my worry with Shure Beta 58a is that it may not be good enough to record vocals.

Any suggestions?

Regards,
Jay

You didn't mention WHY you were doing this. Is it for your own enjoyment? Will you be selling these songs to someone?

For the most part, it doesn't matter. Both will give you fine results. The 58 will be darker than the AT, but which is appropriate will depend on your voice and the sound of the mix. The AT will have more signal, so you won't have to crank the mic preamp to get a good level.

Neither will be more apt to pick up the aircraft noise than the other. If the faint noise of an aircraft interferes with your singing a couple inches away from the mic, you need to learn to sing louder. The reason people say condensers are more sensitive and pick up more background noise has more to do with the size of the polar pattern than its ability to amplify far away noises without amplifying your voice close up. (which is impossible)

Jay,

Thanks for a quick response. That helps.

Pure enjoyment and fun. More of a hubby. Selling? Not sure if anyone would buy :)

I guess it comes down to my own preference then. More tempted to settle down with Beta 58a and then buy another condenser if it ever goes beyond a hobby :)

Regards,
Jay

Back