Dynamic Range es muy importante

BluMusic

Ok so that was the sum total of my Spanish for today but the point is this. I Log onto many different Websites for the purpose of understanding more & more about Home Recording. I enjoy reading but I often find it hard to follow many articles that communicate to me as if I possessed a Masters' Degree in Audio Engineering.

I recently went to Barnes & Noble to check out their Music Section for books on Recording. Why? Well simply coming here and hoping the Members will educate me on how to get that better Mix is cheating in my estimation of things. Many of you have obviously spent a fair amount of time learning what I aspire to learn and I don't feel it wise to simply think, I can just come here and get you to do the work for me.

As I've stated, I'm a Musician with a modest budget for my musical projects. My goal is to set some of my music to CD, where it sounds pleasing with no excuses about the overall sound quality. When I place my CD in the Car Stereo or Home Stereo System, I try to listen to it with all EQ adjustments dead center.

So I found this information the other day that actually sparked some understanding about what I'm trying to do. It's regarding Dynamic Range, how it applies to music and how to manipulate it. In reading this, it was very easy to follow so I thought, for anyone like myself who is sticking their feet in the water of Recording such as I, you might find this as important as I.

Understanding Dynamic Range

We often hear words like Compression, Limiting, Spectrum Analyzer, EQing, etc. and we think we know what it is and how to utilize it but for most, I've found you couldn't be more wrong about that. Even Reverb is only good when used correctly. You could have the best Reverb setting but apply way too much. The interesting thing about reverb is, a little goes a long way.

In one Article, the Writer said, "The use of reverb should be only to cut a little of the edge off the music not blanket it".

For the Members here with advanced knowledge of Recording, I'd like to ask if you believe this Article I've provided the Link for is valuable to learn & understand. It tells me that once I get a thorough understanding of these applications, it truly makes no difference what Studio Monitors I'm using, because really any decent monitors will provide enough information to create good mixes.

Another victim of the ramblings of the idle!

BluMusic, I am going to reveal right now the biggest secret to great production work. With this secret, the whole world of great audio is open to you!

Ready?

Wait for it.........

Just start DOING IT!!!

Yup, simple as that. Just start doing it.

I learned by spending obscene hours on mixing boards. I figure in my life, I have spent at least 15,000 hours mixing music, either live or in the studio. That is around 625 full DAYS, or nearly 2 straight years.

I think that is a conservative estimate too. :eek:

You learn by DOING. In the beginning, I thought that the secrets would be revealed by reading books by "experts". I read MANY of them. NONE of them made me a lick better at doing this. Sure, they provided a bit of background understanding of WHY certain things that my ears liked were good things to do, but none of these books could help me make a good sound decision about how to treat a song in production.

Let me share something very scary. You might not EVER become good at this. :( Really. I have seen live soundmen, and studio engineers with MANY years experience who just aren't very good at it. They intellectually know their shit, but cannot apply what they know to making music sound pleasing to anybody other than themselves.

Inversely, I have seen guys who don't have much knowledge about anything concerning engineering who pull off KILLER sounding work just because they follow their intuition and know when something sounds "just right" or as good as they can get it.

There is WAY more to being a good engineer than knowing what the knobs do. I am not saying your shouldn't learn what they do. You really should. But don't get caught up in it. You will make your biggest strides in production by simply DOING IT.

Good luck.

What was the question again?

Ok, I'll ask it another way. In this Forum there are countless Post about what are the best: Monitors, Boards, Sound Cards, Software, Plugins, Wave Editing Applications, on & on. And just when you think you've got a good grasp on what to go out and buy, someone will post what you got is crap and what they're using is ten times better.

It never stops so then you finally get that what you want, how you hear things, what you budget can handle and how adapt you are at applying these tools has much to do with what is good - better - best.

At some point, one needs to relax and make good use of what they are working with. I suppose there is no question other than, if you don't agree, I'd like to know what you feel is a better approach. Lately, I've gotten so wrapped up in sound and all things connected to sound that I've done very little playing and/or writing.

I realize if I want to get high quality recordings, there's a little work that needs to go into what I'm doing in my Software Applications, but I also understand that I just might have everything I need and now it's time to just learn how to use it.

Something you might consider is sitting down and asking yourself what you really want out of all this.

There's been many a musician that gets interested in audio production that just wakes up one day and finds himself being an audio engineer.

That's all good but the downside is they no longer are that great at creating and performing because they now gear all their time towards being an engineer.

You can't do everything all the time and with music if you don't sound good to begin with, your engineering skills will not change that. You can't polish crap.

You just might want to spend your time and money polishing up your music skills and let someone else worry about the production end. It's not all that bad an idea though to learn audio because that certainly sheds a different light on how to perform. They work hand in hand.

Whatever you do, good luck with it!

For the Members here with advanced knowledge of Recording, I'd like to ask if you believe this Article I've provided the Link for is valuable to learn & understand.

Um ... well ... yea.

Dynamic range is kind of an important thing for someone dabbling in audio to understand.

Let's suppose you liked cooking. Would an article on heating temperatures or the differences between cooking oils be useful?

I would hope so. Same here. Dynamic range ... compression, limiting ... are pretty important concepts. :D

:DChessman uses the analogy so well. [BTW: I like to cook; grew up working in my Dad's restaurant.]

When you mention, "Monitors," EGAD, there are many posts to help you "understand."

But, the best understanding comes from listening to monitors. Take a ride to one of the major vendors and bring your own recordings. Listen to the boxes. Think of your budget. [I'm on my 4th set of monitors.]

But, then, it comes down to a point made above: Do you want to really drop into recording and engineering or Do gigs? Both can work but you can't ignore either.

Enjoy what you do and do what you enjoy!
:rolleyes:
Green Hornet:cool:

Back