Dynamic Mic Shootout! (tom/snare)

BurnBarfield

Hi ya'll.. Yesterday I had a session scheduled and everything was setup when the drummer for the band had a family emergency and couldn't play that day... So rather than let it just be a waste, I decided to throw a small dynamic mic shootout with what I have available. I just did nine mics and a 14x5.5 maple DW snare, and the same nine on a 14x14 maple donoho tom (keller shell)..

The mics I used include, in no particular order

Audix D6
Audix I5
Sennheiser e609 Silver
Sennheiser e835
EV CO4
Shure SM57
Shure PG57
AT Pro25
Audio Spectrum (got for free with a mic stand)

All ran through a Art MPA Gold, Motu 8Pre, then into Sony Vegas

Here are the clips
Snare - http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=9146
Tom - http://www.lightningmp3.com/live/file.php?fid=9147

I will post the list with corresponding mics in the next few days..

I'm interested. I listened to the clips yesterday but didn't comment yet. I was waiting for the key to which mic is which. Most are pretty simular, one or two stand out and a couple out right suck.

I think the PG57 sounds pretty nice on snare. Your 57 sounds like ass dude. Unless that's what they all sound like. I hope not. That's no good : (

The e609 is my favorite on the tom. Sounds clicky and boomy and smooth.

I didn't like the Shures at all...icky, esp the 57...strange.

I thought the first 5 mics sounded best on the snare, and all pretty similar...for some reason I liked the EV the most for snare.

As for the tom, the Sennheisers did it for me.

Would like to here them in a mix though...could pick a totally different mic when heard with the entire set being played.

I dont know if yout list of mics is in the same order as the clips...but to me....just listening on my PC speakers at the moment....I liked mic 7 on snare and mic 3 BY A LONG SHOT on the tom.

Ill head downstairs and listen on monitors later and see if I still feel the same...

I have been gone all weekend so I will get these posted today..

I don't know if some of yall missed it, but the mics are not listed in the correct order on the top of the page... :p

Also on board for mic 3# for toms..sounds killer! which is it? I'd love to beleive it is a 57 because i just got a good deal on a three pack with the beta 52 lol. ..

Burn-

I'm curious...when you did your tracking did you try to get the best sound out of each mic, or go for an "average" or "typical" placement?

Alrighty, sorry for the delay... School has taken me over.

Tom
1-AudioSpectrum
2-E835
3-D6
4-PG57
5-SM57
6-I5
7-AT Pro25
8-E609 Silver
9-EV CO4

Snare
1-SM57
2-I5
3-EV CO4
4-E609 Silver
5-E835
6-AT Pro25
7-D6
8-PG57
9-AudioSpectrum

All of the mics were basically the same position as far as angle to the head and distance from head.

I go to MTSU, but I am not doing RIM for the plain and simple reason that it doesn't give me any security with a job.. I do a good bit of recording for local bands and whatnot on my own time though.

I like the D6 on the tom the best, but for snare i like 3 of them alot and the D6 is in those three.

I'm really suprised, were these all placed in the same spot, with a similar or exact angle.

Wow!

Thanks BurnBarfield!
The shootout could not have arrived at a better time. I have been ruminating upon replacing what I have been using on drums.. then I heard the Audix D6. Went right out to GC and picked one up for $169. Took it to the room and started messing around. A-B'd it with the SM57 and ATM25 in the kick and on snare .. wow .. Probably going to go get the "DP5-a kit" today with a D6, D2, (2)D4 and an i5 ($580) ..

So, uh, thanks for the excuse to spend more money! :eek:

Back