DYI Reverb

myparents

Hello all,
I was just sitting here looking through my junk pile and noticed I have an old fender spring reverb from an amp just laying around. I was wondering if anyone has any creative suggestions for using this thing (not as a junkpile ornament).
Maybe make my own stand alone reverb? :eek:

myparents said:
Hello all,
I was just sitting here looking through my junk pile and noticed I have an old fender spring reverb from an amp just laying around. I was wondering if anyone has any creative suggestions for using this thing (not as a junkpile ornament).
hmm
from an amp huh?

is there space in one end to mic it and the other end to play/sing into it.

maybe you'll get some creative sounds there man.

let us know,
-harry

myparents said:
Hello all,

What you have is just the reverb pan (or tank). The electronics to interface with it are in the amp. The good news is you have the spring part of a DIY reverb but will have to build the rest.

Something less creative but more profitable would be to sell it on eBay to someone restoring a Fender amp. :)

myparents said:
... I have an old fender spring reverb from an amp just laying around. :
do you mean you've got a spring tank or something more than that?
you can check this page for some general ideas..
DIY is righteous activity! :D

Ok

Just wanted to thank you guys for the info. I'm gonna hold on to it and try to build a tank out of it. Thanks for the link Doc, very helpful.

myparents said:
...and try to build a tank out of it. .

now I'm really confused... Build a tank? Like this guy did or something? :D :D :D

seriously. If I've got it righ, the tank is what you have. Right? so you'd need to build a unit (electronics part) which will drive that tank nicely and so you can have some control over the reverb level and nice output signal.... generally speaking.
You can roughly use the tank as is, using mixer's preamps (or some preamp)... it may not work well though. I do use accutronics spring tank (which I've got from disfunct nomad head) just alone, but I use it for a special effect... to get springy effect on drums. I'd have to really push mixer's chnl to the 'red-zone' to get that "srgang-bang"... also, this "method" is not recommended :p
also you if you are into tubes, you may want to look (as example) at how fisher K-10 is (was) made. Here's the link to schematics , provided kindly by The one and only Interruptor. :) There you can also click on arrows to read through the whole manual pages.
here's another diy thing ... just as info, I'd say...

M1 A1

Ha!
I probably used some wrong terms on that one. But you got it right, really I just want to use it as a special effect kinda like you said. I am trying to get into some medium skill level electronics projects and I thought I would try this with some supervision. Thanks Doc for the update and I really appreciate your help on this one.

It maybe be more trouble and expense than to build a spring reverb tank with it. If it came out of a recent amp it's probably not a very good quality tank to begin with. If you have some one else build something out of it most techs charge $40-60 an hour. I think it's best use might be to put it on ebay with no reserve. Maybe you can get $20-30 for it. Then take that money and apply it where ever you want :)

mustang said:
If it came out of a recent amp it's probably not a very good quality tank to begin with. :)
what do you mean? What exactly can be (or must be, or surely is?)bad (or so bad) about a tank which came from a 'recent amp'?

Back