Dust

darwin

Besides outlawing smoking, that has already been done. I am interested in hearing what tips you folks might have about curbing dust problems.

What about one of those ionizers? I'm not too sure how well they work, but I think they're supposed to send out ions into the air which will latch onto the dust particles in the air and "weigh" them down, making them fall to the ground. At least then they don't fly around in the air so much and when you vacuum they're supposed to be less likely to just be blown back up into the air. Could be a big crock of crap :D, but I think that's the idea behind them.

Another thing is to make sure you change your air filter in your AC/furnace regularly and use good ones.

Possibly getting a humidifier might help too, since things won't get so dry and flake off to make dust as easily...

(Now I'm just talking out my ass - can't you tell? :D :))

Good luck. Let us know if you find something that works well.

I have seen where you bring the AirCon in via the rear of the racks so there is always a positive air pressure around your gear so dust can't get near it.

cheers
john

I asked this question a long time ago. I've yet to find out the answer. (I like John's idea though)

I think you just have to resolve yourself to dusting a lot, and keepp your air filters changed.

I've resolved to dusting a lot. I keep a 2" sable brush at the console (VERY soft) and every once in a while I'll dust the equipment. The brush is so soft it won't change knob settings if your carefull.

Now that I have the Ghost I need to find a good way to keep it clean. I'll try picking up a soft brush like that. I'd like to find a really soft brush attachment for the vaccum cleaner or something.

There is no effective way to eliminate dust (well maybe certain very high cost ways) . A no smoking policy and air cleaners can reduce the problem but dust is everywhere.

I try to dust fairly often and I got one of those tiny little vacuum cleaners for computer equipment (which candidly does not seem to do much at all). I try to keep my mixing board and my keyboards covered when not in use - but many times I'm recording until 2:00am and by then I have little energy left to cover everything.

Guys, I posted this on another similar thread some time back but it will be quicker to just type it again -

I looked all over for soft enough vacuum cleaner brushes, tried all the stuff you mentioned, and finally bought 4 of the really soft paint brushes in 2" width - then, I took an extra extension wand (1-1/4, not 2") cut it off shorter (leaving the end that the hose plugs into, duh) then I just used black plastic electrical tape and taped the 4 brushes onto the end of that piece (in a square, around the pipe) so that the bristles stuck out past the end of the shortened extension piece - you can cut off the handles of the brushes so it's easier to seal with tape by wrapping it up (tightly) past the ends of the brushes (away from the bristle end) -

this makes a soft (but crude) version of the dusting brushes you can buy.

In operation, you will want to first turn on the vacuum cleaner and trim the inside bristles that get sucked into the hole.

If you are using a shop vac or anything without a true Hepa filter, you can do what I did - I found some 2-1/2" hose at an industrial hose and fitting place locally, and put the shop vac outside, running the big hose to the area of interest - then, I used a reducer down to the "home size", and a regular hose with the "super brush" on the end.

Works great, and has NEVER changed a setting for me. (If your faders are really smooth and easy to move, it probably WOULD move them - you could only vacuum from side to side if it was important not to move the faders)

Necessity is the mother... Steve

Go to Sharper Image and buy um um um what's that thing called?
Some ionizer type air cleaner. It works mucho good.

But other wise keep a good vac cleaner with hepa.

Compressed air is good for racks, would it be good on a console?
or would it blow stuff into the faders and such.

Yeah, compressed air is tempting, and it can get to stuff that a vacuum won't reach - but aside from the problem you mentioned it also puts the dust into the air, to settle on everything so you can start all over.

If you could have a huge exhaust fan that would suck up a cocker spaniel at 20 feet, and turn it on before using the compressed air, then you'd be back to just the no-no of blowing dust INTO faders and pots, etc... (sigh - I REALLY wish it would work - I LOVE using an air hose, or better yet a pressure washer at 3000 psi, to clean things off...)

Get your clothes dryer out of the house and into the garage! Most of the dust in this house is lint. The stuff is everywhere.

Forced air heating and cooling is the next big culprit. I understand houses with radient heat are noticably less dusty than "modern" homes with forced air HVAC.

Don't use compressed air unless you want water droplets all over your gear rusting connections and leads.

There is a new product from Swiffer called the Swiffer Duster. This thing works great in all the small spaces like on mixers between knobs, and all the other hard to reach spots.

Scott

Back