duplicating old vinyl recordings

saxman61

I have an extensive collection of old records. How do I use my coputer to copy those to cd? I have cakewalk home studion 9 and a cd burner. Running windows xp on 900 mhz pentium.

Can anyone help with this?

Thanks
Saxman61

Essentially you need to connect your turntable to a receiver and then run the "line outs" or "tape outs" from your receiver into your sound card.

You'll need some cables, since the outs on your receiver are probably mono rca plugs, and your sound card will probably have a stereo 1/8" miniplug. So you'll need a Y adapter to go from two rca's to 1/8". Ask the guy at Radio Shack, they'll set you up.

After that, you can record to Home Studio by choosing your sound card's stereo line in as the source. Push record in HS and start playing the record.

There are better programs to do this, though. A lot of them have tools to clean up pops and clicks, and they will allow you to trim the resulting wave file, etc.

Once you have it in wave format, you should be able to burn it to CD.

Do a search in the Computer and Sound Card Forum. This question has been asked a million times there, and there is some good infomation. Do a search on vinyl or cassette (the process is essentially the same for tape).

thanks

thanks for the answer. I thought it would be something like that but I didn't want to invest the time to get my equipment together if it was a lot more complicated.

Lance Hoopes
saxman61

I picked up a program called Dart CD Recorder that cleans up pops, scratchs and other noise off of albums and tapes. It's worth the money. Around $50.00.

Back