Dumping recorded music from a cd player to tracks

Jer-Bear

Hi All,

I'm probably asking a dumb question, and I'm probably missing something very basic, but here it is: How do I put the right and left outs from my cd player to my 2488(to two tracks) and get them to come through to the monitor source. I am very new to digital recording and would really appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks Jer-Bear

PS. There will be plenty more dumb questions to come, please excuse my ignorance.

You can do this in one of two ways. The first is to simply plug a cable into the headphone jack of the CD player and plug the other end into the inputs on the 2488. You can do this with a cable like this, which takes the stereo 1/8" mini output and splits it to 2 mono 1/4" male plugs, which you can plug in to two of the line inputs on the 2488:

Amazon.com: Hosa CMP153 Y Cable 1/8 Inch TRS to Dual 1/4 Inch TS Cable - 3 Foot: Musical Instruments

You can also rip the CD audio to your PC as wav files, burn the audio files to a disc as data files and import them into a song in the 2488. I've never done it this way, so I don't know what wav format specs you need to set it at (16-bit/24-bit, 44kHz/48/etc)

Depending on you CD player, you could also go L&R RCA out to L&R 1/4" ins on your 2488 (need RCA to 1/4" cables, obviously). Make sure to record ready your tracks on the 2488 in order to see/set levels. Keep in mind RCA outs are unbalanced - hopefully won't be too much of an issue if the CD levels are decent. Good luck!

Thanks Cusebassman and Mr June,

I will give these all a try and hopefully I can find at least one way that works.

Thanks again

Jer-Bear

Good call, June. Just for additional assurance, I've run unbalanced 1/4" male TS Plugs into the balanced 1/4" inputs on the 2488 neo before and it works just fine.

I have a 2488, so you can feel free to email me if you have any questions. I'm not an expert by any means, but we'll at least be having the same questions! My email is cory_barker@yahoo.com.

About importing .wav files to the 2488, that is a pretty good way to get a good sounding file into the recorder. The one thing to remember is that they have to be mono .wav files, and they have to be burned as data files onto the CD. The Tascam won't import stereo files to a track. I've done this with a program called PC Drummer to get my drum tracks, and it sounds pretty great. I don't think there is any requirement for bit rate or anything. I usually crank those up as high as I can (24 bit, 48 khz, I think)

As for playing your CD into the the recorder, these guys (or gals) are right, just go from the headphone jack into one of the inputs with a 1/4" adapter and you're good to go. You could even do this from an ipod or mp3 player, but I think ripping a .wav file will sound better, if sound quality is a concern.

You can burn whatever you like to a CD, but once it is converted to CD audio, it is 16-bit, 44k audio. Not being snarky, just wanted to clarify for OP

Back