Dumb questions about br-8

PILSMAN

Wow! what a web sight!
I'm a guitarist in the contemplative stage of building a home studio (no experience at all). I've thought about buying a br-8 and a drum machine, but I have a few questions.

1. Do I need some type of AMP to plug my headphone into, or does the br-8 have sometype of built in AMP?

2. I've heard the br-8 is very limited as far as recording time if all tracks are used. Is this true?

3. How well does the bass simulation work? (really don't want to buy a bass) Thanks!

Yo PILSMAN: [Do you make BEER?]

I don't own a BR-8 but here is what I can tell you.

You can only record TWO TRACKS AT A TIME with the BR-8.

It probably has a phone plug-in; most of the recording boxes do.

The Yamaha MD-8, on the other hand, will let you cut all 8 tracks at once and in the 8 track mode, you get 18 minutes. In the 4 track mode, you get 36 minutes and, of course, the discs can be used over and over and over.

I've also read that the BR-8 has a short recording time. You can glean out that information by punching up the Roland Site and then getting the specifics on the BR-8.

I can't comment on the Bass simulation; I've never heard the box. I use a DX-7 and I have many great bass patches that are, of course, programmable too. Funky stuff can be arranged on the DX-7.

If you go to a drum machine, check out the Boss 770 - I just got one and it's great. About 400 patches to play with and it has an A/B version of each patch, as well as button that gives some transitional chops and, it is also programmable.

Have fun man and keep making BEER.

Green Hornet

The Md-8 sounds like a winner. Does it have effects built-in? If not, what do I need to get started?

Where can I go to find some of the MP3 stuff that some of you fine people have put out there. I'd like some idea of how good these work-station recorders can actually sound (all musical talent aside).

PS. Sorry Green Hornet for emailing you at home, I'm still learning how to navigate through this BB. (I'm not a computer person either but I'm learning)

Back