Dumb Question????

genesisariana

My boss and I are trying to start a moderate project studio. He has the question of why all major studios use big digital consoles? Is it for the pre's, for the digital control, ease of use? Is there some digital console secret that we are not seeing? Can you not do the same thing as someone with an icon board and protools, with logic pro, apogee converters, a nice array of preamps, and something like the euphonix controller? I understand the differences between logic pro and protools. He just dosnt want to invest alot of money, and down the road realize why everyone else uses a console.

My boss and I are trying to start a moderate project studio. He has the question of why all major studios use big digital consoles? Is it for the pre's, for the digital control, ease of use? Is there some digital console secret that we are not seeing? Can you not do the same thing as someone with an icon board and protools, with logic pro, apogee converters, a nice array of preamps, and something like the euphonix controller? I understand the differences between logic pro and protools. He just dosnt want to invest alot of money, and down the road realize why everyone else uses a console.

to answer your question: sure. you're views are right on and sensible.

Boards like the ICON itself act as a giant mouse and inherently have no preamps and really end up serving 2 genereal purposes in the studio:

1) It's layout, by design, brings the "ol school" engineer a surface he's used to. It sounds silly but, there are engineers who are completely allergic to mixing inside the box, especially issues concerning automating giant mixes and sifting through enormous sessions. When you've been used to automating with flying faders and actually doing the motions of running up and down the board for so many odd years, it becomes difficult to stay stationary in one spot 80% of the time. It brings a streamlined work flow for medium to big business, as well as a familiar medium for most veteran professional engineers.

So the large format digital console is really a combination of marketing tact and consumer demand.

and

2) this is really gonna sound silly but, the look. Most people react favorably to the giant boards. To the client, the legitimacy of seeing a large format console sets in the reality "this is a studio". Luckily, for most artist it's not as important as a good product. So essentially it's a luxury, not an absolute.

Having a board like the icon won't make your mixes sound better, it's just designed to make things easy and flexible.

At a project studio level, that all doesn't matter. In fact, it's more cost efficient to cut out all the bullshit and get right to the core. As long as you have a good mic, good pre-amplification, and good A/D...you're all set.

I personally opt for combo consoles, the ones that actually combine analog with digital, because I feel like the money is put to practical use at that point. Unless you're mixing these giant 120 track sessions, large format consoles are overkill.

By digital consoles, I asume you're talking big non-Digidesign desks such as Amek, SSL or Neve?

First off, most of those studios you're talking about *do* use ProTools with decent converters. The big desks are used on the front end for three main reasons: the quality of the analog side of those desks, bling factor. and economics of scale.

Analog quality
The preamps and EQs in the best of those desks often have a signature sound and quality to them that is an integral part of most of the big-label recordings you have heard produced over the last 40 years or so. Can similar-quality sound be gotten from outboard gear such as seperate preamps and EQs and summing engine and such? Sure, but go out and price 48 channels of UA or Rupert Neve or GML or Manly gear and all of a sudden a $100K desk doesn't look so bad ;).

Bling factor
This industry is loaded with gear sluts. Not all of them will admit to it, but they're in it more for the gear than they are the music. Companies like Neve and SSL and Amek and such have built up such a marquee value (and rightly so, because they do, after all, sound great) that it's virtually become silently understood if one does not have those specific toys to play with, that they are not players. If you do not have at least one desk with ones of those names on it and at least a couple of Neumann mics to put into your gear list, you'll have a hard time collecting big name clients on either side of the glass. Unless you have a marquee name yourself; in which case you can probably afford the big desk because you'll have no shortage of clients drooling to give you a couple of hundred an hour to have your name on their album. Which brings us to...

Economy of scale
Most of the big studios you're talking about have big clients and a fairly regular stream of name-brand engineers and labels coming to use their facilities (not just because of the desk, mind you, but because they also spend $100K on acoustic treatment and design alone, and they are known to have an equally professional work ethic.) In these Big Boy cases, the high price of a big desk is an investment into a high-price, high-worklod business that expects to pay that $100K desk off (along with another few $K of gear and salaries) in a matter of a couple of years, not a couple of decades.

But that doesn't mean that's what everybody's about. Does a smaller project studio need a nuclear powered desk with it's own Starbucks? Probably not; and a nice ICON for half the price will get the job done quite fine - assuming you still spend at least *some* decent money on top-shelf mics, a coupule of analog "gold channels" to give the tracking that extra jump out of the gate and an engineer who knows how to get the money's worth out of them

G.

Back