Dumb Question -- Recording On Multiple Tracks

kyoun1e

First, I am new to this. Only 3 months into electric guitar and now I got the itch to record.

First challenge: Recording clean and distorted parts of a song to different tracks with the idea to put them all together in one project. Recording one track going back and forth from clean to distortion is too problematic...too many pauses where I have to change my amp distortion settings.

Problem: I CAN'T EVEN FIGURE OUT HOW TO RECORD IN MULTIPLE TRACKS!

I keep recording in track 1, finishing, then go to track 2 and record and what I record ends up in track 1. I'm going mad.

I'm sure this is something simple, but I guess I am a simpleton when it comes to this.

Please help me out.

Thanks. KY

The issue is probably which tracks you are "arming" for recording.

What software are you using? Pro Audio? Sonar?

-BM

kyoun1e said:
Home Studio 2002.

So track 2 should be armed while track 1 shouldn't...I could swear I did that.

KY
Yes. And set the input for Track 1 to None, and the input for Track 2 as your recording source (e.g., Left SBLive)

kyoun1e said:
Ah...the input for track 1 as none could be screwing me up.

KY
It really shouldn't be, if you aren't arming the track. But not setting an input for Track 2 could result in nothing being recorded on that track.

There are no dumb questions, just dumb people.

I would guess that you have a card with a configuration option called "record what I hear" or "What U Hear" It is a setting for cosumer use that you just have to turn off in your sound card config window. Maybe the advanced tab.

let me know if that works.

Jim

Kidding about the dumb person jazz.

jdier said:
There are no dumb questions, just dumb people.

I would guess that you have a card with a configuration option called "record what I hear" or "What U Hear" It is a setting for cosumer use that you just have to turn off in your sound card config window. Maybe the advanced tab.

let me know if that works.

Jim

Kidding about the dumb person jazz.
That should result in Track 1 showing up on Track 2. He stated it was the other way around - Track 2 showing up on Track 1. That shouldn't happen if Track 1 is not armed, regardless of which input is selected in the sound card.

You might be right, but I read it as if he wound up with the jazz from track one overlaying onto the new stuff so his new track 2 had both tracks on it.

Back