Dumb Question about Amp Modelling boxes

Vease

Dont laugh, but I don't understand where the Output comes from when you plug into a POD,YAmaha DG Stomp etc. Is it right that you plug your guitar straight into one of these things and you can actually hear the modelled sound through headphones without going through an external speaker system? Does this mean that the device is hooked up to the mains power supply or are they battery driven?

My confusion comes from seeing the advertisement for the Yamaha QY100 Synth/studio device, One of the pictures has a guy sitting alone in a field jamming away through headphones, so presumably this thing can be battery driven?

I just read something on the Yamaha QY100... and it does run on batteries. Here's a Yamaha link with some info specifically on it: http://www.yamahasynth.com/pro/qy100/index.html

As for the output question, you can do just about everything you mentioned with any of these devices. Plug in headphones, send the output direct to a recorder or computer soundcard, or run it to an amp and use it as a preamp/effects unit. The only one I've actually used is the POD, and it sounds great direct. Not quite like an amp, but close enough for most situations. The POD doesn't work with batteries though.

Back