Dumb Interface-Preamp Question

YellowCalx

Hi, I'm new here and I'd like to a ask a dumb question.

I currently own a M-Audio Fast Track Pro interface and I'm thinking of buying a preamp (possibly the Focusrite Isa One). My question is: how would I connect my preamp to my computer? Could it be through the Fast Track Pro, or am I going to need to buy something else?

Also, apparently there's a version of Isa One that comes with a digital card. Would that version make things easier in terms of connecting it to my computer?

Sorry for the dumb question.

I would definitely try connecting the output of the preamp to the input of the Fast Track Pro. Turn the gain control right down on the Fast Track, and use the Focusrite to get the gain you need from your microphone/s. Use a balanced cable (TRS or XLR) between the preamp and the interface.

Paul

With the Fast Track Pro, come out of the pre amp and into one of the TRS inputs (centre of the XLR connector) on the front panel of the box. Set the "Line/Inst" switch to "Line". The levels should be okay just doing that but, if they're too high, use the 20dB pad (but my money is on not needing that).

Would it be easier/better to put the digital option into the ISA One? That would effectively change your pre amp into yet another audio interface. I don't have any experience with them but whether it's easier will depend on the drivers they provide and the facilities on the ISA One. In my experience of other Focusrite gear, it's usually okay but I'm not sure I'd class their drivers as better or easier than M Audio--and I'm not sure their A to D converters are noticeably better either.

Edited to add: Okay, I've just gone to the Focusrite site and the digital version is NOT computer interface. It provides AES/EBU, S/PDIF and SMUX-compliant ADAT outputs but you'd still need to go through something like the Fast Track Pro (in its case the S/PDIF input) to get the signal into the computer. Unless there's something very special about the A to D in the Focusrite, I question whether this would be worth your while.

Last edited:
with the digital card version of the ISA One you can connect it to the fast track pro via and SPDIF cable. however, i think you'd neither either a specific cable (like this) or maybe a convertor as the output from the ISA is toslink and the input of the fast track is coaxial (looks like RCA). tbh it may be worth emailing/phoning the company who you were thinking about getting the ISA from and seeing if they can throw in the right cable. the benefit of doing it this way means it free's up the two inputs on the front so you can record 3 tracks simultaneously and completely bypass the Fast Track preamp stage.

the other route that should work and, again, completely bypass the fast tracks built in pre's is to go from the output of the ISA into the "insert" point on the fast track although you may need to play around with "half jacking" it (literally only putting half the jack cable in to only send a signal to the return side of the insert)

Otherwise, as Paul said, just going in to the line in on one of the built in preamps (the jack in, not an XLR in as that defaults the signal to mic level) would work fine but i do have a feeling that it doesn't bypass the inbuilt pre's this way so you end up doubling amping the signal going in which can cause a problem

I wish manufacturers would specify whether the Line Ins on interfaces bypass the Mic Pre Amp or just pad it down. My reading of the spec on the M Audio site is that it may well bypass the pre amp but the full instruction manual implies it's the other way around. Oh for a good block diagram!

Yeah, the insert socket would definitely bypass the mic pre amp...but at the expense of a few feet of unbalanced cabling.

Back