Dumb Cubase question

David Self

I am either not understanding something or I have a problem (or maybe either way I have a problem). Anyway, I am recording into the line input of my sound card. I am using a mono type mini-jack (not stereo). That input is fed by my Art pre-amp. I set up Cubase to record and it records just fine. The problem is that when I pan to the left I get a lot of volume on the channel. When I pan hard right I get virtually no volume. What am I doing wrong?

Sounds like the mono plug is sending signal to only one channel and the signal on the other side is just bleed-through. Why not get a stereo mini-plug? OR- and you'll have to ask around in the Cubase forum, cuz I don't know; when you hit the record button, does the S/W automatically record a stereo .wav file, or can you select the option to record a mono .wav file? Third option: open the recorded file in a .wav editor and select the channel that has good signal level, then copy it to a new mono .wav file.

The channel that I am recording into is a mono channel. There is an indicator next to the track indicating mono. Also, when I edit I only get a mono audio stream. How would the stereo plug work if i'm using a mono source (i.e. the Art pre-amp)? Do you know the URL for the cubase forum?

Hi David,

I'll assume the following: your using a 1/8" stereo mini plug, plugged into your soundcard. Your source material is a stereo signal.

In Cubase: When you bring up the monitor view (that is the thing that looks like a mixer) Above channels 1 and 2 the are numbers. Hold down the CTRL button on your keyboard and set it to 1L, on channel 2 set it to 1R.

In the arrange window, where you hit record, make sure you are recording on channels 1 and 2. Not just 1. After recording bring up the monitor window, pan tracks 1 and 2 hard left and right.

Hit play.

Emeric

"How would the stereo plug work if i'm using a mono source (i.e. the Art pre-amp)?'"

Depending how you have your cabling set up. If your going from a 1/8" plug to 2 1/4" plugs or RCA to patch bay or any combination. One of the plugs is left (tip) and the other plug is right (ring).

If you take the output from from your preamp plugged into the left side of the cable running to your sound card, when you record, only the left channel is recorded. The right will be a flat line, and vice-versa.

Emeric

Back