Duet mixed correctly?

Witti007

Hi everybody,
I just finished a new song called: ”On A Cold Chicago Day”. Cathy Wilson and Donovan Plant sang a duet of the song. I found it very tough to mix the two vocal recordings properly. I hope it sounds ok. The following people were involved in the production:

Ray Bertram: lyrics
Cathy Wilson: vocals, lyrics, composition, production
Donovan Plant: vocals, guitars, production
Robert Baitinger: instruments, composition, production

”On A Cold Chicago Day”

You can find the lyrics at SoundClick. As always I very much appreciate feedback and suggestions/critiques. Many thanks in advance!

All the best
Robert

www.robertbaitinger.de

The Piano is slightly loud on my setup but the duet sounds good, her voice is slightly louder than the mans, good mix :)

How much bad news can you take?

I'd like to be helpful; but it would be painful, long, and deep....beginning long before you hit the record button.

At the music entrance, I loved the sound. I'm a drummer, so I noticed the long tailing verb put on the kick. I think it works! Sounds good...

Then when the male vocals come in, they dominate the mix. Turn them down - seat them better within the music bed. The male vocalist needs to learn how to sing with proper diction, too... It's like he's singing to a bunch of deaf people, making sure they understand each word with his lips.

Female vocal entrance is notably different than the males - in a bad way. Was a cheap mic used on her vocals? Was she recorded in a different (worse) room? Any weird FX put on her?

Also - put the two vocals in different panning space. Seems like they're panned dead center, both of them. Separate them a bit.

Timing on the vocalists needs to be a bit better, too... Especially when they're so hot in the mix. Turn em' down, or make em' sing more in time with each other.

I gotta say, though... I really like the music. The major problems I have are with the vocalists.

Not bad! Keep at it!

Thanks for taking the time to listen to this song. I appreciate the feedback you guys gave me.

The vocals were recorded on PCs at different locations, with different mics and totally different mic settings. That's what made this project so challenging.

I like the idea of panning the two vocal tracks to the left and the right. I'll try that out and in the process I'll also take a closer look at the volume of the vocals.

Thanks again!

Robert

Back