Dubstep/Electro

Antidote

Hey guys, im 18 years old and have been writing dubstep for about 6 months now and I was wondering if some experienced ears would like to take a listen to my newest track :) This is the first song which I have made on ableton and I think it turned out alright. I am aware that many of you will dislike the genre but try to see it for what it is :) Thanks guys

http://soundcloud.com/tri-stride/block-monster-official-release Newer version now uploaded, changed the link

Edited Link, sorry about that

Last edited:
Hi Antidote
Bear (bare?) in mind that is from a moldy forty something who's first thought when seeing this thread was 'what's dub step?', can't read text messages, and doesn't know whether is's bear or bare.

A very good if you've just started. Too me a little muddy (this stood out when the chimey bell thing came in, and not much seperation between sounds. The drums, I also felt should have been clearer, almost like you were listening from another room.

I am being critical here, just some thoughts that might help. It certainly sounded as good as much of the commercial stuff I've heard in this style (and that's style where you pronounce the 'e')

Keep it up - well done.

Hey mate, I really appreciate you taking the time to have a listen. I did my best at mixing/mastering the track but I encountred difficulties with the "muddiness" that you are talking about and I think it probably stems from the low undertones that are produced with that "Bell" synth setting. I will take another look at my EQ's and even try something like panning to seperate the instruments. Thanks for the input! Also for anyone viewing this who has a soundcloud account feel free to follow me and you can keep up with any new tracks i upload.

you've got the elements to make something poptastically brostep

Only thing is when your first wobble bass comes (0.38) in it all turns to mud a bit...Im not sure how long you've done this but remember in electro stuff you can make some huge EQ cuts to give your stuff room, Id only leave the sub at the bottom or the kick, cut everything else..... also try some side chaining, especially with pad type sound as they'll eat up all the frequencies (check everything in the 200-350 Hz range, you may need to cut some of the bass or pad sounds here)

your main bass at 2.07 is a bit too loud, for me it needs a little more production, tailoring, as it sounds like a Massive preset at the mo', not enough variation or bite in it imho...maybe automate some filter cut off?? or maybe introduce a little vowel synth sound at the end of every 8th bar??? dunno

if you are using ableton theres a great free rack in the ableton forum here by afrodjmac that will cover this

all in all I enjoyed it, I don't like the brostep scene as a personal preference but you have all the right ideas for it mate

Wow man thanks for the help, i finally foud out where the muddiness is coming from. The pad that i used to make the gated synth sound at the start was pumping out some major mid/low frequencies that I had never even noticed before. I will also take a look at altering the last section to make it a bit more interesting.

Once again thanks for all the help

I'm no expert in dubstep but I know when I like what I hear. Love that wobble. Love the random "shit" in the middle of nowhere... kinda my thoughts exactly at that point. Nice epic sound to it, like I wanna go get into a fight or something lol (can you tell I don't dance?) Anyhow, I can't offer much of a critical viewpoint, other than to incorporate a little more "space". I realize dubstep is a very busy, energetic genre- but (and I think I'm paraphrasing another post here) striking that balance between silence and sound is key to a good mix in any style. Overall, though, loved it. Keep up the good work.

Definitely an improvement. Sounds a lot more crisp and less like all the sound's trying to jump in my ear at once. Good work!

This sounds a lot better. the different elements standout more, a lot clearer. There seems to be more going on stereo wise from what I remember (it would be interesting to do a A/B test). The bell thing sounded a little annoying on the original, but this sounds good. Great improvement. Very good.

Back