Dual monitors, NT, win2k...

neadam

Anyone tried ntrack with win2k? and if i'm correct, NT doesnt' support dual monitors, but 2k does? that's the only thing keeping me from switching...
Also, what is the max number of tracks anyone has been able to record in ntrack, anyone above 8?
thanks
Nathan

I've had 14 tracks with about 15 DX effect instances (reverb, compressor, and parametric EQ mostly) with n-Track 2.04 on NT4. No problems.

I don't know what my REAL limit is since I haven't hit it yet. According to dskbench I should be able to handle 30 tracks (assuming 64k block size) without any DX effects...so I'm probably getting close.

My system isn't the best either. Celeron 400 oc'ed to 500, 64MB, 5400RPM Quantum drive, cheap soundcard...etc.

Note that on Win98 my system started out fine, but before long 6-8 tracks became difficult. NT solved this problem...and made the crashes less bothersome (less crashing and virtually no rebooting).

It might also be interesting to know that I'm getting MUCH better performance using 3rd party FAT32 drivers for NT than I did using FAT16 on NT (I'm dual booting so FAT32 was my best option).

I'd say that Windows2000 will work out nicely. I'm using it now at work and haven't had any glitches thus far. Pray for more support.

Slackmaster 2000

Thanks for the reply slack,
Actually i meant what is the most simultaneous tracks anyone has been able to record at once, like with 2 8/24's in one machine. i have some potential projects which would need at least 11 simultaneous tracks... I have finally been figuring out how to work it without it crashing on me all the time, but i love dual monitors now, and NT doesn't support that, though i believe 2k does. Anyone know if the NT drivers for the 8/24s (gadget) work with 2K? So these are my only real questions.
Thanks
Nathan Adam

neadam,
Windows NT does actually work with dual monitors. Unlike windows98 you can have 10 monitors, NT only supports 2 monitors. I have a matrox G400 dual head and a matrox mystique and three monitors, N-tracks works great with it.

NT on the other hand has very poor support for two monitors. IT does work, I had it installed and working with two monitors, but the way the OS handles the displays it is really messed up with NT. I uninstalled NT for that reason...

Hope this helps.

Bob Bevins
bevins@sympatico.ca

It doesn't really matter if we're talking about reading or writing tracks. In fact writing is usually quicker. If I've been able to play 14 simultaneous tracks with boatloads of effects...I'm sure that you can record at least that many at once.

Slackmaster 2000

Back