Dual Athlon CPU temps and coolers

mastahnke

Linux Man...
Ok, I have a dual Athlon MP 1800+ box.

Right now I am not running it because the CPU temps are WAY OUT OF CONTROL. ...and one of the chip fans siezed. So I need new chip coolers. What is the best option to keep it way cool and quiet, not uberquient, but quiet. I need to keep the chips under 60C if possible. Right now they are way over that. I was very afraid.

I bought the heat-pipe flow things from a local shop they are 32.50 each and I guess they work great but they were too loud. I am taking them back tomorrow. I don't need a server room ambiance in my studio. (I have that at work).

I can't afford the money or space in the case to go water cooled. This is a rackmount box 4U high, so any fan really should fit. It's almost like a normal tower turned sidways with ears.

I recently put an Antec TrueBlue power supply in it too, (480W with two fans) thinking that would help. It didn't so much.

--MIKE

If you don't mind spending the money, I'd recommend the Thermalright AX-7 heatsink with a low speed fan, something like a Vantech Stealth or low noise Pabst.

The AX-7 is a great heatsink, and uses an 80mm fan. For a given volume of airflow, a larger fan will not have to spin as fast, and will therefore be more quiet.

Other heatsinks that are pretty good and accept 80mm fans are the Alpha Pal 8045, and the Swiftech MCX462. Both are pretty good, and nearly on par with the AX-7. None are cheap, and some come boxed with loud high speed fans most of the time.

If you're trying to do this at a lower cost, you might look at purchasing a pair of 60mm to 80mm fan adapters, along with the 80mm Pabst or Vantech fans.

You can use less expensive heatsinks, or less expensive fans, or higher volume fans, but you will either lose cooling performance, or increase noise. It's all a matter of cost. The above recommendation (AX-7 + Vantech) is probably about the best combination of cooling performance and noise, but it's probably the most expensive as well.

Crap, I just noticed the link I gave to the AX-7 is actually the AX-478, the Pentium IV version (AX-7 is the AMD version). Doesn't look like Plycon carries the AX-7, but I'm sure it can be found elsewhere.

Using a couple of Taisols with my 1600+'s. Running at 45-50 C. A bit noisy but bearable.

How do you measure the temp?

I have been measuring temp with the mobo monitor in the bios on reboots. I got scared cause teh computer started rebooting on its own, well morelike shutting down and not rebooting for about 8-10 minutes ...probably because it thought it was too darn hot.

Is there any good free tool to monitor temps in Windoze?

--MIKE

I got strange readings with MBM on my tyan tiger mp. For this one, tyan has its own application for monitoring (and for the other dual amds). If you are also running a tyan, do not forget to push the arrows when in the bios to refresh the readings, they always give something like 72 C when you just enter the bios.

Yeah I do usually refresh the bios. Does the Tyan cd come with a mobo monitor? If it does I should locate that item. Anyway, I am going shopping tonight for a new cooling fan setup. My chips were hotter than 72C, which is pretty darn bad.

Later
mIKE

Don't think so. The monitor program came a lot later. You can find it on the tyan website. You can set alerts etc. This gave also other readings as the bios or mbm. Don't know very well what to believe.

Back