DSP on a mixer?

RobManYou

Could someone please tell me the advantages of having a digital out on a mixer and/or a DSP? or is it the same thing?

DSP stands for Digitial Signal Processing.
Basically, it's like a little outboard effects unit, but built into your mixer. It's mainly made for the live market; the convenience of having an alright-ish verb/delay unit without having to lug around a seperate rack unit. You could use these effects if you were recording, however they're usually not the greatest quality.

A digital out is different. This allows the mixer to output a digital signal, allowing you to record it directly to any recorder/IO that has a digital input. Of course, the converters on a mixer aren't gonig to be the greatest, although they will probably rival most low-end sound cards.
The main drawback is that most mixers with digital outs only output the main mix.

ok thanks man... are there any mixing perks that a digital out would provide? what do you mean directly to a recorder as opposed to...? yeah i'm pretty sure mine will only send out the main mix.

Well, the perks are that the earlier that you go digital, the better (well, for low-end gear anyway).
Once a signal is digital, it's a lot harder to introduce noise into it as opposed to an analouge signal, as I'm guessing you don't have a bunch of analouge outboard gear. Converting between analouge and digital will effect your signal, so the less times you do it, the better. Also, differnt converters sound different, and do better/worse jobs- obviously a $3k apogee is going to do a better job than your $50 soundblaster.

And I mean directly into a recorder as opposed to going through an ADC (analouge/digital converter).
You'll probably find that the ADCs in a mixer are going to be better than your basic soundcard (like a creative). In fact, if you are goign digital-in to a creative card, it's not all that bad, and you don't have the high-noisefloor that you would if you used the analouge in

That should be fine for starters, although you'll hear incessant bitching aobut behringer gear on this board (some of it from me, i'll own up to that) but, at the end of the day, you work with what you've got until you can afford something better.

You've got 8 direct outs on the back of the Behringer, plus your two main outs. If I were you i'd be taking these 10 signals as your inputs into the Delta.
This way you can use the 8 directs to record "clean", then, if you want to use the Beheri's in-board FX, you can make a mix of the effects and send it out via the main buss (or any of teh auxiliray busses if you so desire).

The only other thing that would get you to a "bare minimum" standard would be a decent audio program. I hear that Audicaity is free, but if you're going to spend some money there's a few choices out there. Most programs have aa free trial version available online, so give them a try and see what you think. Choosing an audio editing program is like choosing any other audio equipment- diffrerent people like different brands/products becuase they suti them better. I swear by Cubase, but you may find there's other people who hate Cubase with a passion, and will call you "gay" and "a noob" if you use anything other than Pro Tools...

There's also the computer forum here, you can ask around there for opinions on different software.

Have fun
Crud

crud you are the man! You've helped me so much... if there's anyway i can repay you somehow you let me know! thanks a million man!

Um, gimme the $50k I need for my next upgrade? ;)

Nah, tis cool, that's what these forums are about.
Have fun, and let us know how it all goes

Hey Rob, I think I was posting some stuff to you the other night. Keep in mind that 2 of your inputs on the 1010 are digital so until you are using a digital source, you actually have 8 inputs. Plus, two of those are XLR ins so with that board, you will need a 1/4" to RCA snake (8 channel) and then two rca-xlr plugs. I can tell you where to get that stuff cheap but I was labled a spammer for that lastnight. Search my posts and you will find it though. :)

OMG you're trying to sell him stuff you spammer!

TBH, I didn't know what the inputs were on a 1010- I usually research before giving advice, just slipped my mind this time. Gomen.

Crud

cpl_crud said:
OMG you're trying to sell him stuff you spammer!

TBH, I didn't know what the inputs were on a 1010- I usually research before giving advice, just slipped my mind this time. Gomen.

Crud

A lot of people don't realize that the 1010lt has RCA inputs. I love the card but I try to help inform folks about it before buying it. Of course, I was an eager beaver and bought the card and could not wait for the snakes to ship so I blew about $30 on RCA-1/4" plug adapters at Radio Shack. Now I have them laying everywhere!

yeah thunder you've helped me more than once and crud you've helped a lot also! I appreciate it Thunder... actually because of some of your other posts i've already ordered the 1/4 to rca 8 channel snake! what's this about the rca to xlr cables though? are the xlr inputs digital then?

RobManYou said:
yeah thunder you've helped me more than once and crud you've helped a lot also! I appreciate it Thunder... actually because of some of your other posts i've already ordered the 1/4 to rca 8 channel snake! what's this about the rca to xlr cables though? are the xlr inputs digital then?

no, they have pre amps though so you will have to either run direct with your mics and use those pres, or when you install the card, change the jumpers to make it line level. The instructions show you how. If you go line level then you will need the RCA to XLR adapter.

Back