DSP card or CPU/mobo upgrade? Advice please.

Doug H said:
Just an aside, have you checked to make sure you are running the fastest timings your memory supports? This can make a bit of a difference in memory stressed situations.
Doug

Looking at the Task Manager, my RAM is barely being taxed where my CPU cycles are getting pounded by Sonar.

FanTC® said:

The point is that CPU's are so powerfull nowadays that a DSP isn't always needed. And you can fill all your PCI slots with DSP's but the PCI-buss speed (33MHz) will be the bottleneck in your system. That's why the new PCI is on the drawing board. I would't advice annyone to buy an extremely expencive card at this moment. Unless they have too much money. And a CPU upgrade is verry easy and cheap.

Have a nice day
Henry

Where can i find out more about the new PCI?

Take a look at http://www.pcisig.com/home

PCI is speced up to 64bit/66MHz, but not a single soundcard uses it.

Then there is PCI-X going up to 133MHz with backward compatibility. The only thing that I know that use this are gigabit ethernet phy's and scsi raid controllers.

Newer is PCI-Express. This leaves the parallel bus and goes serial switch fabric. Also hot-swap capable (not so new, there are hot-swap pci cards, but that is limited to industrial applications). For the last one you will probably find more over at Intel as they are pushing this. No hardware available.

The real pisser for me is that native companies keep talking about how much faster CPU's are getting.

In the real world I have noticed a SLIGHT improvemnt in number of plugs you can run going from Pentium 2 450 to P3 700
A big improvement in stability between P3 700 and Dual P3 700

and now a jump to more than 3 times the speed to a P4 2.4ghz results in NOT A SINGLE extra instance of a plugin than I could run on the dual 700. So where is this "extra speed" going?
same OS same apps, etc..

pipeline: that's VERY strange... what OS ? 98se ?? How much RAM ?
I noticed a BIG difference between an Athlon 1,4 with 512Mb on win98 and an Athlon 2,0+ with 1Gb on XP. I'm talking at least double plug capability.

Herwig

Win XP for all of em, but a confirmation in win2k for the 700, dual 700's and P4 2.0, P42.4, and P4 2.4 hyperthreading

pipelineaudio said:
Win XP for all of em, but a confirmation in win2k for the 700, dual 700's and P4 2.0, P42.4, and P4 2.4 hyperthreading

I went from dual Celeron 500/sdram 66 to AMD 2000+/ddram 266 and was able to run double as much plugins. All with Win2000.

psst, pipeline: it's not the size of the plugins that matters ;) ;) :cool:

I only know AMD cpu's, I have no experience with Intel since the good ol' Pentium 166MMX days

Herwig

Back