drums, vibrations, computers, oh my!

Hey all;

I'm in the midst of doing some upgrades, partly so I can record live drums and stuff. As I was upgrading my computer specs, I had a thought that seems a bit concerning. I'm going to have my modest, yet respectable brand new computer as close as six feet from a live drum kit. The room is carpeted, and the CPU is in the little cubby-hole-thingy found in most computer desks to keep it up a few inches off the floor. I have visions of excess vibrations rattling all the parts right off my motherboard.

I then thought about maybe utilizing a cushion of some sort, but I know that computers need appropriate ventilation. Am I unnecessarily worried, or is there a simple solution?

Chris

Over time the vibrations could definetely affect your computer.

There was a recent post where someone lined the innards of the cubby with carpet padding. As I put in their column - in a few months their computers will burn up certainly.

The heat would be a worse problem than the vibrations.

My recommendation would be to simply put carpet under the drum set. It's only the kick drums that will cause a problem. And the carpet will solve it.

Hey, thanks for the response. So, if the room is already carpeted, am I okay? Is there anything else that I should think of doing?

Chris

Like he said... carpet the drums and maybe put the PC up on a stand. It'll be fine. Quite frankly, you'd have to do a hell of a lot of "vibrating" for a hell of a long time for anything to "shake" off of the motherboard... so carpeting the drums and elevating the PC is more than enough.

WATYF

Back