drums machines and more...

jonjon123

Hi all,

I've been a guitar and piano player for the last 15 years or so and im embarking into my own music project, the problem is i cant find a drummer in my area.

so im thinking of getting a drum machine, or drum software that will do the job. I have very little experience on drums. I've used software like magix, where you drag and drop drum loops on a horizontal timeline and it is limited as they provide 2-3 drum samples per drum style.

What software do you recommend? I dont need something complicated. All i need it to do is play a constant beat, with occasional drop rolls and break plus the ability to add a cymbal crash or cowbell.

I've tried rebirth, dont understand at all. I like fruity loops, but it seems complicated. Im hoping to get a present drum loops so i dont have to build them from scratch, one beat at a time.

Can someone please advice? thanks !!!

There is a lot of software available that works very well, but most titles do have at least a medium learning curve.
for what you're wanting, i think you'd be happiest with a drum machine, something simple but with good samples and kits.
check out the alesis sr-16, easy to program and has pretty nice samples. i use a couple different programs for recording/sequencing that are powerful in the area of rhythm programming, even so... most of my projects are at least started on the sr-16. hope this post helps you. and good luck with your project! i love playing with bands, but nothing beats controlling every aspect in the personality of a song!!!
Capt. Snazzy

alesis sr-16 or Boss DR770?

For a non-drummer whos looking to start, whats would you recommend? the alesis sr-16 or Boss DR770?

looking for ease of use and sound quality.

thanks

Get the Dr-770

I'm not a drummer, but I found it relatively easy to use. It's got some GREAT sounds, it's simple to program as far as drum machines go, and it's very flexible in what it can do. Under $400.00, too, last time I checked.

Bruce in Korea

i use the heck out of the sr-16 (program on it then sometimes control other drum modules/keyboards with it)
i don't think it get's any easier.
when i started programming, i was looking to get real drum track sounds, and i had no experience as a drummer. getting started was easy, and with some input from my brother (mad drummer) my beats got pretty close to real.
i haven't played much on the Boss series, but the 770 is quite a bit newer than the sr-16, so i would bet that the samples are better. as far as ease of use, i've heard that the Dr series is really easy, so looks like you can't go wrong... just depends on what you're looking to spend. the sr-16 is quite inexpensive comparably and can be used to control a more complex module later on if you need more realistic sounds (that's what i do)
anyway. in closing, sounds like you've got it narrowed down to a couple of good ones. just check the specs/price and decide what'll work best for you.
the Capt.

Back