Drummers who use DrumDial, please share your tension settings, heads, kit etc...

Things like the drum dial are better left to the drum techs. They put the dial on the drum, then ignore it while tuning the drum to the drummer's preference. Then they check the dial for the settings and from then on use the dial to get them back. So I suggest you do the same. First, find someone whose drums sound awesome to you live and ask them (along with a free pizza) to come over and tune yours. Then put the dial on them as they do that (not peeking) and note the settings. Then you're golden. Good luck,
Rod Norman

I got a PDP Concept 7 Maple, all toms have Evans G2 coated batters and Evans G1 clear reso.
Snare has Evans Evans Power Center Reverse Dot and Evans Hazy reso. Bass drum has Evans EMAD2 Clear batter and Evans EQ3 Resonant Black.
My DrumDial settings are:

Toms: 72 to 74 batter and 69-71 resonant
Bass drum: 72 batter and 70 resonant
Snare: 88 batter and 80 resonant

I play mostly Rock style music.

Things like the drum dial are better left to the drum techs. They put the dial on the drum, then ignore it while tuning the drum to the drummer's preference. Then they check the dial for the settings and from then on use the dial to get them back. So I suggest you do the same. First, find someone whose drums sound awesome to you live and ask them (along with a free pizza) to come over and tune yours. Then put the dial on them as they do that (not peeking) and note the settings. Then you're golden. Good luck,
Rod Norman

Hi Norman, first of all thanks for the reply.
Being fairly inexperienced with drumming, the DD is an invaluable tool to me, experience will come with playing, time and practice, nothing else will do it, with that said, this thread was meant to help me get an idea, a "ballpark" on drum head tension used by DD users and for the different genres of music as concerned to drums. I got a pretty good ear, and I am am learning to tune my drums further after I reach the desired drum head tension wit the DD, this, to me has become a great routine when it comes to tuning my drums, I don't have a lot of drummer friends, a couple, and I am not too crazy about how they tune their drums, otherwise, I'd be offering that free pizza, and beer, to motivate a visit to help me tune my set. I feel good at my progress with this, and this thread, is not about how to tune my drums, it is specific about DD tension settings and styles played at those approximate settings, for those who use the DD, all input however, is welcome.
I do realize a lot of drummers not too crazy about DD and that is just fine, in the other hand, I am sure that no matter how experienced I get on this instrument, I will make sure to keep one DD around in case is needed, I do find it useful and it certainly don't hurt to keep written track of your different tuning settings, with particular drum head brand, style etc etc..
Thanks again for your input!

Back