Drummers Headphones

goldfish

Aloha!

A quick question to recording drummers out there! What make/model of headphones do you use when recording? I'm looking for a nice cheap pair of isolating headphones for a drummer to record with. They need to be really loud, in-ear would probably be alright, if they go loud enough, and cheap enough!

So, what do you guys use?

I use Vic Firth Isolation Headphones, and they work great. I normally plug them into my cd player and then play along to music. They're $50 pretty much anywhere. I've also heard that MetroPhones work well too. They are a little better than the Vic Firth ones, and they also have a built in metronome. Those are about $100. If you want good cheap headphones, go with the Vic Firth Isolation ones.

i use a pair of Sennheiser HD280's. they've got great sound, are very isolating and they'll crank as loud as you want em (without killing the drummer's ears, of course).

they run about $100, but they're great for everything.....listening, monitoring when doing mic placement, you name it. they've got about 28dB of attenuation.

cheers,
wade

I own the Metrophones and wouldn't use anything else.

The hundred bucks quoted above is the right price, the best thing is the isolation level - with the water filled ear pads they are unbelieveably quiet - and they (too) turn up as loud as you want.

They are not the best headset from a quality point of view - but they are all of quiet. They also were not most comfortable I ever used recording when I began working with them, but it didn't take me all that long to get used to them either.

My best advice would be to listen to some of the suggestions here - and go out to try them before you buy.......... at least that way you have a chance to choose for yourself.

Rod

Extreme Isolation phones are great, I use them on drums all the time. Hell I wear them to practice too.

War

I also use the Vic Firth head phones and they work really well. Sometimes i need a little more signal in my headphones so i just plug em into a headphone box and im ready to go!

I use Philips SBC HP170 Headphones. I got 5 pairs of them in 2000 for about $20 a pair at either TARGET or Walmart (I don't remember which had them for less.)

They sound okay, have closed ear cups, and they have taken a lot of abuse. I look at headphones as a disposable item, so I don't see the point in putting out over $25 for a pair of headphones that are just for tracking.

Tim

Thank you very much everyone, now I have a shortlist of sorts and it's time to take my drummer shopping!

My take on this : I love my pro HD-25 's. Excelent isolation, great punchy sound. But the problem is that I need them more than the drummer does, for monitoring! And it's hard to monitor the overall drum mix while using another headphone, and then do the final mix with a different pair ... where they sound totally different. I prefer to keep the monitors consistant until the last stage before mastering where I'll check it out on a variety of speakers/headphones. HD-25s work fine for drums, but he needs his own pair and he doesn have £160 odd just knocking about!

Again, thanks for the response :)

Back