Drummer challenge/project

GreenDank

I have perhaps a challenge for a drummer. Or at least something to keep a bored drummer busy. Most guitarists (including me) come here and look for drummers to put drum parts to their riffs. Fine and dandy, but that's a one way street.

I would like to extend the "challenge" to a willing drummer to provide me with a WAV file of a simple tune that I will compose metal riffs over to form a song.

Here's what I'd need to make this work:
-keep it around 3 minutes long (I'm not looking for an epic here!)
-have a 4 or 8 click/hi hat lead-in
-play to a click with a consistent BPM through the whole thing, let me know what the BPM is you chose.
-4/4 time, with parts in multiples of 4, for example: verse 8 times, chorus 4, verse 8, bridge 12, etc.
-you decide what parts are the verse, chorus, and how many each are played and in what order/combination
-as far as style: if we could keep it between somewhere between ac/dc and Testament that'd be great. I'm not that into blast beats anymore, but then again, I'm no ballad player.

Why am I doing this?....I'm trying to put together a CD of my songs (and collaborations) using various recording ideas, and I'd like to incorporate some new tricks. If I get more than one offer, I'll do 'em all, and drop them on the CD.

P.S. I would also use your DKFH (or similar top notch brand) programmed tune if it sounded pretty realistic. Just no straight up obvious drum machines please. I can do that.

So basically you just want someone to arrange and record (or program) drums tracks for you for free, right?

RezN8 said:
So basically you just want someone to arrange and record (or program) drums tracks for you for free, right?

I've had drummers put drums to riffs of I've written, even when working within the confines of my arranged song. Well, here's a chance for a drummer to make up whatever the heck he/she wants, and I'll work within the confines of the tune. The work will be on my end on this one.

With a 3 minute tune, 4/4 time, and one BPM, it doesn't get too complex on the arranging side of things.

So, the answer is yes.

RezN8 said:
if he wanted that he would obviously just record the guitars and then all he would have to do is ask and there are a bunch of drummers on this and other forums who would GLADLY arrange and record him drum tracks for FREE all he would have to do is ask. the guy is setting up a little project for him and some drummers to have a little fun

Why are there so many people turning to drummers for hand-outs?
Any drummer laying down tracks without compensation is a damned fool.

Hire a drummer...pay the man.

TheBigGiantHead said:

because we enjoy getting a being able to play to different things, we dont need to be paid, and im sure they arent looking to market whatever recording they are getting done(if they make money so should the drummer)most of them are just singer songwriters who are trying to get some solid form of a song to work with and get a band together with or are just plain doing it for fun

tbone36109 said:
because we enjoy getting a being able to play to different things, we dont need to be paid, and im sure they arent looking to market whatever recording they are getting done(if they make money so should the drummer)most of them are just singer songwriters who are trying to get some solid form of a song to work with and get a band together with or are just plain doing it for fun

It looks like English yet...I have no idea what you're saying.

I can see how a lot of drummers wouldn't be down with the idea. tbone is correct though - I'm just a guitarist having a little fun. I can see if I came on here and for every new song idea I'd want a drummer to put stuff down - that would get pretty annoying. But I'm not really doing that. I put the feelers out there once to do a tune where a drummer could put drums to my song, and I got two hits and those are being worked on as I write this. Now I'm putting the feelers out there once for me to put guitars to a drummer's song. If I get a hit, all the better. If not, I understand why.

Hiring a drummer though....not such a bad idea.

TheBigGiantHead said:

I`ve done this with loads of drummers, and I think some people actually love makin music.

They play music because they love it, not to make money.

and the only fool I see is you :mad:

Here is a super quick (and VERY rough) snippet of what can happen. Oddly, the drummer that did it was from a guitar pickup forum! He did the drums before I even got home from work, and I goofed with some riffs last night. I was just noodling with ideas, so don't get all caught up in the playing out of key or the direct recorded guitars. I think it will turn out pretty cool when it's all said and done.

OK try these. I recorded them in 1 session then cut them into clips & rearranged. I tried to keep a regular 8 bar 4 bar 8 bar thing going, but I got a bit lost :o

Couldn't get a click on the track but there's a 2-bar intro. It's at 100bpm, although my daw reported the speed as 100.56. Not sure if it's super accurate, or just bullshitting me.

Anyways, see if they're any good to you...

Bulls Hit said:
OK try these. I recorded them in 1 session then cut them into clips & rearranged. I tried to keep a regular 8 bar 4 bar 8 bar thing going, but I got a bit lost :o

Couldn't get a click on the track but there's a 2-bar intro. It's at 100bpm, although my daw reported the speed as 100.56. Not sure if it's super accurate, or just bullshitting me.

Anyways, see if they're any good to you...

Nice! Thanks a lot. A lot of room to work with here. I'm initially hearing an industrial type guitar going on, which I don't normally do but I like, so that will be fun. I'm getting ready for a little vacation over memorial day weekend, but I WILL be working on this. It might just take me a week or so.

TheBigGiantHead said:

Contrary to your apparent selfishness and (judging from other posts) arrogant temperment, people do in fact enjoy playing, just to be playing. Some drummers jump at the chance to actually work on a tune for whatever reason, others aren't so eager. No biggie, no harm, no foul. If you want to, great, if not, move on.

Only an inexperienced novice would even consider playing without being paid. We're not talking about jamming in your friend's basement...this is about solicitation for services without compensation.

You want drum tracks for free? Get a 5gal bucket and start looping.

TheBigGiantHead said:
Only an inexperienced novice would even consider playing without being paid. We're not talking about jamming in your friend's basement...this is about solicitation for services without compensation.

You want drum tracks for free? Get a 5gal bucket and start looping.

It's not like he is putting it on a CD, claiming that it is him playing, and collecting a check from it. Remove the 5A from your rear and come back when you have less contempt and a little more sense.

Back