Drumkit from HELL

ino

http://drumkit.toontrack.com/index_samples.shtml

I'm fascinated by this drumkit. Havent bought it, but thinking about that...

has anyone of you tryed it yet? (its sampled from MESHUGGAH's drumkit), has many levels of intensity for each instrument, its not just volume down, and has different samples for left/right hand...

Must be a hell to program, cause you obviously have to adjust midi velocities for it to sound real, but on the demo samples it sounds so real it hurts... (Its supposed to be used with some drum sampling instruments like NI-battery)

Is it worth??? I'm tired of my samples and cant get many good ones to download on the net......

well the different intensities wouldn't be a problem if the midi was recorded using a vdrum set, my guess would be that's what it was designed for, I find that all drum programming, other than for hip-hop, is a pain, lol

Eric

I use it. Its mapped for the EXS24 in Logic audio so its nothing to get it setup. Best audio sample kit I've used to date.

I own the DFH and the first (and currently only) DFH add-on.

You cannot ask for anything better! it's wonderful, truly wonderful.

PM me if you'd like to know anything more about it, there's alot of specifics I could tell ya!

It has what is referred to as Maps.... I use DFH with the DR-008 program (similar to Battery) with Sonar, and an outboard controller. When I open Dr-008, I simply assign a Dr-008 mapped drumkit to it, and it loads all the samples (stacks of samples) in each module (or note/key). Then, using a midi keyboard controller, I can program beats into it and layer them and whatever and the velocity is done by how hard I hit the the key on the controller. I can change velocities later, or set random velocities in Sonars midi sequencer.
Quick and easy and sounds superb.

tubedude said:
I can program beats into it and layer them and whatever and the velocity is done by how hard I hit the the key on the controller. I can change velocities later, or set random velocities in Sonars midi sequencer.
Quick and easy and sounds superb.

Cool !!!

Thats really cool, Thats a great ideat o make it sound more real without changing intensities of every beat, great idea for closed hats, As I'm writing, I'm thinking about programming the whole kit without hats and ride, and then use your method to program those using hand intensities... (and mabye snare too) REALLY COOL!!! (my kit is very monotonous...)

You can do some pretty complex stuff with it, but I have a simple song I programmed with this same setup -->> Right Here <<--
Probably took a total of an hour on this one. I still have some adjustments and tweaks to make, but overall the drums are close to where I want them. Its called Song7

tubedude said:
You can do some pretty complex stuff with it, but I have a simple song I programmed with this same setup -->> Right Here <<--
Probably took a total of an hour on this one. I still have some adjustments and tweaks to make, but overall the drums are close to where I want them. Its called Song7

Very cool indeed, but imho the drums are too there in the whole scene. What parts did you rec with keyboard? how did you manage the timing? did you tweak them to their correct tempos in the song?

I can see(hear) you didn't recorded them for real, cause in reality you dont have 3 arms and cannot play hihats, snate and crash at the same time, you should think about that, if you wanna make them real :D ;)

Too there? Whats that mean? Didnt like the sound?

I lay down a click track, and then I play the drums in real time to the click track, usually kick snare and hats at the same time, or ride instead of hats, and sometimes crashes too if I can stretch my fingers enough and not fuck up. If I mess up too much or get to out of time I'll scoot it over, but otherwise I like to leave a bit of shaky in there,,,

And I CAN play the keyboard as if it were a full drumkit :)
Kick, snare and some cymbals with the left hand, the other snare (for rolls and shit) hats and ride and toms too with the right hand.
I played piano for 200 years so this comes easy to me once I learned where all the drums were located.

Peace!
Paul

Back