drumheads

travisbarker956

im going to be gettin a multi track soon and i want to do some drum recordins on it and i was wonderin wat are good heads i want a deep warm sounds i like the hydraulics but there two quite

wat about the ec2 clears by evans i havent heard them played and i wanna know

or g2 coated hmm i need help

travisbarker956 said:
im going to be gettin a multi track soon and i want to do some drum recordins on it and i was wonderin wat are good heads i want a deep warm sounds i like the hydraulics but there two quite

wat about the ec2 clears by evans i havent heard them played and i wanna know

or g2 coated hmm i need help
For deep warm sounds, i suggest the G2 coated.

It depends a lot on your kit. I have a ludwig maple kit that I can get that sound out of using Pinstripes on top with clear Ambassadors on the bottom.

My band just hit the studio last night, going in again tonight & then Friday....I'm using Yamaha Recording Customs now, and in order to get that deep / warm / still kind of punchy sound, G2 clears on top & bottom of all the toms were the answer.

Hope that helps a little.....experiment with different heads & combinations. The G2 Coated heads my be exactly what you need.

I'd go with what tilinmyowngrave said. Go with some G2's, when tuned right, they sound great. And if you dont like that little tiny ring you get with them, add a moongel or if you have to tape (but moongel is better as it doesn't leave a sticky residue on your drumhead). I might get the EC2's instead though. I have heard good things about them. It's up to you.

Right now, on my snare I put a G2 to try it out. It sounds crisp and has a ring to it, but i dont mind some ring. If you dont like ring I'd go with an ST dry, they're very crisp and there's little ring. Or you could try an Aquarian Hi-energy snare head, they're very dry as well.

Just my thoughts. Try some stuff out, and you'll find the right heads.

Depends on the kit (Mahogany, birch or maple) and if you know how to tune the drum. Make sure the drum head is seated on the shell evenly before you tighten the head. I usually make a fist and push down in the center of the drum head then tighten it really tight. Then I can tune to pitch. This works very well.

It all depends on the sound you are looking for. I have a maple kit and I use Coated Emperors as batters and clear Ambassadors on the bottom. Pinstripes seem to be for very shitty kits or guys who can't tune and want to "try" and get a big sound out of a small drum by tuning it lower. They sound ok but they're muffled too much for my taste.

If you want more smack and crack go with a coated head, and tune it lower.

If you want a boomy, and tight sound go with clear heads, and tune them higher.

Also, it makes an ENOURMOUS differnce recording drums in a "live" room as opposed to a carpeted bedroom.

If you have a room that is live sounding (tiled kitchen, wood floors, concrete garage, etc) give it a shot first.

Have fun with your new recording equipment.

-Finster

Back