Drum Tuning

Accroya

How should a drummer tune their drums when preparing for a recording session. Any advice would be appreciated.

That's a good link. I taught myself to tune with the info in there. The importance of good drum tuning cannot be underestimated.

The Professor Sound link is a very good link and has been referenced on this site many times. Since the link provides plenty of actual tuning advice - I would like to add some real world tips that I have found to be true over and over.

1. Tune to the key of the song. Normally, a combination of 3rds, 4ths or 5ths between drums will provide a reasonable melodic content
2. If attempting to achieve the above referenced melodic tuning you are forced to tune individual drums outside of their ideal resonant range - disregard tip 1 (in which case - see: Professor Sound)
3. If possible, record in a good sounding room - capture the live sound of the drums as much as - if not more than the close mic attack
4. Use new heads - put the heads on a day before the session
5. If possible, change the snare (and possibly the cymbals) to match the vibe of each song
6. Lube any pedals or other moving parts (including cymbal sleeves) to avoid unwanted noise
7. Bring several different stick (including things like Hot Rods, etc). Different sticks can help achieve subtle differences in sound.

Harvey: do you read this forum? In the famous "How does diaphragm..." thread you were just going to say how to tune them. I read the Bible and it's great, maybe you have another interesting point of view or good tips.
Cheers, Andrés

something else..

BIG part of that sound is gonna be in your Choice of heads to, coated or not. single or double. Padding or wide open. Isolation between the two rack toms and kick, etc.. Consider where the sound is coming from in relation to what it hits first. YOUR OTHER DRUMS. hope this helps to. Also. I never ever tune before i get into the room im gonna be in. I hate pre-tunning. And if ur gonna be quick and change heads the day before, throw a blow dryer in the ur heads some. As they're a petroleum product, like guitar strings. they need to be seated, strechted then tuned. Never ever tune down . always up. I dont know if proffessor said that, if he did sorry.. i havent read it yet.

Back