Drum Sticks in Bulk

keilson

Does anybody know of a place that sels drum sticks in bulk that is discounted. I need a large quantity of Vic Firth 5a classic wood tip sticks for school.

I've been unable to find any internet distributors, but I've found that local music stores often carry sticks in bulk (generally a dozen pairs), for about $70 a pack.

Yeah, local music store is the way to go there. Plus if you deal with them enoug, they give even better deals. I pay $8.00 a pair for my $13.00 special order sticks, because I have order so much stuff from them.

Hi Keilson,
Interesting that you should mention that particular
make and size of stick because I
just opened up the catalgue from Musician's Friend that came with my last order a couple of days ago and they are having a sale on Vic Firth Classic Premium Hickory sticks "in only" sizes 5A and 5B with either wood or nylon tip for $4.99 a pair, that's $59.88 for a dozen.

Now....some advice:

We all know that Musician's Friend is part of the same company as Guitar Center, so...why don't you tottle on over to the Guitar Center on Glen Cove Road in Carle Place with this sale information in hand and see what they will do for you? You see, there seems to be some internal rivalry between Guitar Center and Musician's Friend. (I'll bet you can get your dozen pair for $40-$50)

Good luck

Tim Brown, are you a drummer? It's not about the name. It's about the quality of the stick which that manufacturer makes. I have purchased cheap sticks like the one's you have mentioned. They break very easily, feel awkward, and are often warped. I have learned my lesson, which is to spend more on quality sticks.

Hey, that's not really fair! Tim Brown most certainly is a drummer and has contributed some very helpful advice on drums here.
I don't think it's quality so much as the feel of the sticks that I'm looking for. Sticks are real personal things to drummers, they are the extention of your body, sort of lke how brushes are to an artist.
I play mostly with 5A's also, but I personally prefer the Pro-Mark Japanese Oak sticks. I like the size and shape of the tips and I sometimes use nylon tips for jazz when I want a certain definition on the cymbals. There are times when I use Regal Tip 5A nylons because the wood is lighter and I'm going more for touch than pound. For heavier rock pieces I'll use sticks as heavy as 2A and they feel like field drum sticks to me. Each manufacturer makes a stick with a certain feel. When you get one you lke, you tend to "stick" with it.
Maybe the sticks mentioned by Tim Brown are really good. It's defintely worth giving a try
sometime. The price is certainly right.

keilson said:
Tim Brown, are you a drummer? It's not about the name. It's about the quality of the stick which that manufacturer makes. I have purchased cheap sticks like the one's you have mentioned. They break very easily, feel awkward, and are often warped. I have learned my lesson, which is to spend more on quality sticks.

Yep, I've been a drummer for 25 years.

Everyone that I've talked to who has tried the sticks that he makes have been satisfied with them.
I'm working on my own model, and 18" version of the ProMark DC10, but on the butt end I want the same type of end that is on the butt end of Carmine Appice's signature Regal tip stick.

Tim

Tim, I didn't mean to sound insulting when i asked "are you a drummer." I was just shocked by your post. Most drummers I talk to are picky about their sticks as Rimshot said. But quality is also a factor. I have played some cheap sticks as I have stated. That's why I have a pile of sawdust on my floor in my studio ha. The sticks you mentioned might very well work for you. But I am going to school soon and need to order in time.

I play with only american hickory. It is the only thing that dosnt break immediatly. The only stick that I can get my particular style (5ab Which is a 5 in diameter, A head with a B taper) and in hickory is promark. That is why I dont buy Mr Glowinthedark's bulk package of slightly bent particle wood sticks. It is all a matter of taste. You wouldnt record you lead vocals with a $3.00 radio shack mic? I dont hit my drums with crappy distorted sticks.

(This coment was in no way ment to slander the Mr. Glowinthedark sticks inc. or to hurt anyones feelings who use their products)

Back