Drum Specifics

tbowen

Ok this is probably a vague question but here goes. What are the correct ways to pan drums when each drum is miced and has 2 overheads? and a 57 on the hi-hat? also what are some good eq settings for drums? when i ask about the panning i meane for it to sound like you are looking at at the drummer playing. i hope someone knows what I am talking about.
-thomas

I guess this depends on how close to the drumset your virtual audience is supposed to be. Up close (say, you're sitting on the floor with your legs almost touching the kick bass) the pans would be harder to the right and left for drum pieces on your right and left. As you move back the stereo field narrows until it really is in mono. You'll have to choose what you want to achieve in order to answer your own question.

My personal way to mic up drums is as follows.

Snare and bass drum in the centre. High hat can go in the centre if you want, but if you can mic up the ride cymbal then I'd have the high hat slightly left and the ride slightly right. Toms are progressively panned from hard left to hard right. The smallest tom on the left going thru to floor toms on the right. Each overhead is panned slightly off centre.

I think this is a fairly typical kind of setup - for a right handed drummer this set up gives the impression you sitting on the drum stool rather than in front of the kit.

This is just my way of doing things, but should try a variety of set ups and decide for yourself

Godd luck
Paul

Back