Drum Software?

jimmiebananas

I ran a search on here but didn't come up with much.

My question is what drum software is the best? I'm very new to the recording process (literally a few weeks) and I don't have any buds that play drums. The only equipment I have right now is a Boss br-864 recorder, one sm58 mic, and of course my guitars and bass. My recorder has a drum machine in it but it's ridiculously limited as far as kits and it's a chore to navigate and use.

Most of all I want something that sounds real. I know there can never be anything better than real drums but I need something and I can't stand drums that you can spot as "fake" a mile away. I've looked around on the net and it seems the high quality drum software packages are fairly expensive so i'd like to be informed before I buy one. Figured I'd post here instead of the drum forum since this doesn't deal with real drums.

I'm going to be using Adobe Audition after loading the tracks from the recorder as wav files since my friend has it and I don't record directly through my computer. I don't know if that has any effect on what drum software I should use or not.

Also, anything else that anyone can think of that a newbie like myself would find useful would be appreciated.
Thanks.

My question is what drum software is the best?

I dont think there is a definate BEST. Their is a best way to work with drum sounds. You should begin by learning about sequencing and sampling. This would give you the ability to create drum parts using sound modules and sample based sounds like DrumsFromHell software. DFH Superior

Creating convincing drum parts often involves combining several techniques. You may want to purchase a keyboard or drum midi controller pads like this;
Trigger Finger

The path you are chooseing is not the easiest. The fastest way to good drum sounds is a good drummer. You can do it on your own but prepare to learn a lot about drumming. :cool:

Thanks for the input. I have made drum sounds with my music with the on-board drum machine on the recorder. They work well with the music I've recorded but I'm not thrilled with the options. Like there's only one kick, snare, closed HH, open HH, etc. sound. It gets very boring.

Your advice was helpful, I'll look into some stuff.

Back