Drum sample reverb

noiseordinance

Hi there. I'm using real drum kit samples and have all the drums broken out into separate tracks. I'm curious if anyone has any advice on which drums they recommend reverb on, if not all tracks to varying degrees? I imagine the biggest one is reverb on the snare. I also imagine that reverb should be subtle, though that is dependent upon the type of music. In my case, I record anything from Radiohead (which I figure has longer tails) to metal (which probably has shorter tails). At any rate, I'm not sure if ya'll recommend reverb on ALL tracks, or if it's typically limited to just kick / snare....?

Thanks!

i would end up putting reverb on drum group track and then cutting some lows and highs from reverb.
OR
put longer reverb on snare and other drum have the shorter verb...

I set up a reverb as an aux send and send the snare and toms to it in what ever degree seems appropriate. The faster the tempo, the shorter the the decay time (reverb tail) needs to be.

to me it doesn't make much sense to have the snare in a different room than the toms. I just don't send as much of the toms into the same reverb that I send the snare to.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd like to ask Farview and some of the more experienced dudes here if you often, or ever, put reverb on the overheads.

I used to be of the philosophy that you don't want reverb on cymbals and hi-hats. But, now I find myself almost always putting at least some reverb on the overheads.

Or do you only put reverb on the snare and toms, and then a little reverb on the whole drum bus???

I guess it really depends on how lively the room is.

If you have a dead room, I think its a matter of taste verbing the OH's.

But if its a live room, I see it getting muddy really fast.

But I haven't tried it myself.

Not to hijack the thread, but I'd like to ask Farview and some of the more experienced dudes here if you often, or ever, put reverb on the overheads.

I used to be of the philosophy that you don't want reverb on cymbals and hi-hats. But, now I find myself almost always putting at least some reverb on the overheads.

Or do you only put reverb on the snare and toms, and then a little reverb on the whole drum bus???
I tend to compress the overheads pretty hard, so adding reverb would be redundant. Every once in a while, I will add some to the kick, but not often. I haven't used more than one reverb for a drum set is almost 15 years.

The only thing I insert on the drum buss is compression.

Just for disclosure, most of what I do are really dense metal mixes. So what I tend to do alot might not be appropriate for every form of music.

Back