Drum recording then using samples?!?!?!

phlopip

i need you guys to clarify something for me regarding recording drums and percussion. i'm interested in software such as ezdrummer and steven slate drums. is there a way i can record my drums live, then the software can replace my hits with sampled hits instead? if so, how. thanks guys

If you're using an electric kit which can output the signal as MIDI then you can connect the drums to your PC which you can then map into EZDrummer as MIDI Information.

Best way is for you to use triggers on your acoustic drums - kick, snare, and toms.

That way, you'll be able to replace the hits. You can't go apeshit with editing, though, because the overheads will still have the natural drum sounds in them. Of course, you could record cymbals separately, but at that point, why not just use fake drums?

i need you guys to clarify something for me regarding recording drums and percussion. i'm interested in software such as ezdrummer and steven slate drums. is there a way i can record my drums live, then the software can replace my hits with sampled hits instead? if so, how. thanks guys

I'm pretty sure you can, but you'll have trouble with overheads. I've never dome what you're asking about, but I don't see why you can't replace individual mics with samples. Thing is, I'm assuming you'll need a mic on every single piece: snare, kik, tom1 tom 2 tom 3, every cymbal, hi-hat. Like I said, I've never done it, but this is what I'm guessing you'll have to do.

Me and the Creepmeister must have been typing at the same time.

Tootrack has a program called drum tracker that is supposed to do just that. Never tried it, no 64bit win7 version yet.

I've never done it, but a friend has done it on acoustic kits with good results, but you need to individually mic every drum you intend on replacing. Seems like an awful lot of work, but when the drummer wants to use his shitty kit, not much else you can do to end up with a half decent drum recording.

I say invest in midi triggers for each drum. Much easier.

Back