Drum questions from the forum idiot

socalledsin

Yes its me again, back with more questions. :eek: Now that i have most of my gear issues figured out (thanks to all who helped) today it hit me. What am i gonna do for drums now? I sold my crappy boss dr3 to put towards my audiophile. I really dig the nskit http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/nskit_download.html but im clueless on the best way to use them in a song. I have fruity loops, sonar 3, Forge, and acid. I really dont want to put any more money into software, but i really dont like fruity loops. Maybe i just dont have it down but im looking for a simple way to add these drum sounds to a recording. With the dr3 id simply hit record and manually tap out the drums. It sounded like ass but it was really simple. I dont have anything midi related aside from the software mentioned, and i dont want to buy another drum machine after hearing demos with the kit. Now that im upgrading my gear a bit i need some better sounding drums. They dont have to sound 100% realistic. Ok enough of my babling. Can someone point me in the right direction? thanks guys.

The Forum Idiot?

socalledsin said:
Yes its me again, back with more questions. :eek: Now that i have most of my gear issues figured out (thanks to all who helped) today it hit me. What am i gonna do for drums now? I sold my crappy boss dr3 to put towards my audiophile. I really dig the nskit http://www.naturalstudio.co.uk/nskit_download.html but im clueless on the best way to use them in a song. I have fruity loops, sonar 3, Forge, and acid. I really dont want to put any more money into software, but i really dont like fruity loops. Maybe i just dont have it down but im looking for a simple way to add these drum sounds to a recording. With the dr3 id simply hit record and manually tap out the drums. It sounded like ass but it was really simple. I dont have anything midi related aside from the software mentioned, and i dont want to buy another drum machine after hearing demos with the kit. Now that im upgrading my gear a bit i need some better sounding drums. They dont have to sound 100% realistic. Ok enough of my babling. Can someone point me in the right direction? thanks guys.

ok....I guess I'll have to go back to being the Village Idiot. Didn't know the forum idiot position was filled. sorry! how's the benny's?

hey, you're not an idiot. you're just used to that drum machine. Me too.
too bad you had to sell it....

There HAS to be some way to put together a chain/sequence of bars. and then subsequently edit them.

or maybe you edit first. I have found that ALL ...not most, ALL predesigned patches or patterns are too busy, and are a pain in the ass.

there has to be a way to step write your own fills/intros/outros etc......

I just don't know what it is. good luck. I'll keep track of this thread as I am interested in this also.

socalledsin said:

Use "Session Drummer" in Sonar 3 to create drum patterns; use a DXI Synth like "LiveSynth Pro" to play your NS_Kit soundfonts. You'll have to create a custom drum map to play the NS_Kit, as they don't adhere to the GM standard. Actually, I think there's a new free version of NS_Kit (version 7, I think) that does follow the GM standard, so maybe download that... Anywho, in session drummer, you can create drum patterns (including intros and fills ) for almost any music style. Once you create the pattern for the entire song, bounce it to a midi track, add whatever modifications you'd like (more hits, fills, etc.), and then bounce it to an audio track, or an individual audio track per drum used (kick, tom, snare, etc.). There you go, simple, no? :rolleyes:

...Now, read your manuals, the help files in Sonar, and search the net for all the details on how to complete each of the above steps.

Hope this helps!

-mr moon

Back