Drum practice Idea, your thoughts?

Nick_Black

Mirthmaker
well I was just kinda looking at the Rock band thing... and I got an Idea.

hook up pizzo triggers to the bottom of all my toms and symbals, hook it up to my computer, program a "game" that takes a midi drumfile (lets say from guitar pro) and instead of hitting fake triggers to let sound out of the speakers, you hit the real thing, to get real sound.

good Idea? bad Idea? suggestions?

thanks Nick_Black :)

$0.02

Sounds like a good idea if you want to go to the effort, but I can't really see what you're getting from it that you can't get from just playing along to a CD...

my friends brother already did that. there's a program that works with the rockband drums when plugged into a computer via usb .

the guy even made his own pedal for high hat because his broke, and he wired two sets to work together

freaking genius.

Elton Bear: well, you won't be getting much more out of it, It would basicly be playing from a music sheet with the CD but the music sheet moves, and tells you weather or not you hit the right not at the right time.

tojo: do you have a link to this Program?

Greg_L: well, that's the point. I want (and do a bit) play real drums, just I think this would be a more fun & interactive way of learning how too play.

The best way to learn how to play:

1. Take some lessons to learn proper body mechanics, holding the sticks correctly, etc.

2. Play along with CDs (recordings) - that is how drummers have been learning since....well since recording were made.

3. Play with other musicians to learn how to actually create music (vs. simply play drums).

Anything other than that....is a poor substitute.

Greg, I'm not if you understood the fact that the OP wants to trigger his real set, rather than use the rockband pads or anything.

Nick_Black, as well as focusing more on technique, I would recommend using your ears to tell you whether you've hit the drums at the right time rather than a MIDI sequence. It may make you tighter to a click track, but I would worry that you will compromise the 'groove' in your playing if you're always following exact note placement.

Another Angle with Rockband - Hook up to Garageband

Hey - here is a really cool video by a really awesome instructor that had this video on how to hook up Rockband with Garageband to have some fun. - Check out creativitytospare dot com and scroll down a bit.

I just let someone else play the drums for me. I can get the stick thing, but I have two left feet with shoelaces tied together, so that part never works.

Anything other than that....is a poor substitute.

Negative .... anything that piques interest or inspires creativity is an excellent learning tool.
Of course the fundamentals of learning apply, as you stated, to proper development and technique. But, never close your mind as to what the best way to learn is.
We are all different.

Back