Drum pads + drum machine?

Claudius Rex

Hello!
I have a BOSS Dr-670 drum machine, a very fine piece of work indeed. However, I'd like to learn how to play some drums and as such would like some kind of electronic set to play (I live in a townhouse, neighbors wouldn't much like me having acoustic drums). My drum machine has MIDI ins and outs. Could I use it as a "brain" for an electronic set, saving money a bit on the full cost of the kit?

Thanks much!

Unless that drum machine has trigger inputs (usually 1/4inch) you will still need a 'brain'. You can use your drum machine sounds but you need something to convert the triggers to midi.

Yea, what Tex said. I've seen DIY MIDI brain kits, but you could probably find an Alesis D4 (or equivelant) for a couple hundred bucks.

Okay, here's a loosely related question.

I have a Zoom 234 drum machine - love it. Drum samples are excellent. However, it was in a house fire (mine), about 3 years ago. Amazingly, it still works very well with the exception of the pads. The heat caused the rubber buttons to swell, and they're kinda flaky when trying to program with them.

Do you guys know of a small practice-pad type of drum machine that has the large round pads (I recall seeing one from yamaha) that I could use for MIDI triggers for programming the Zoom?

Obviously, I could just get another Zoom, but I like the idea of programming with something more closely resembling a drum set. I'm not looking for a full electronic kit like a Roland V-Drums or even a Yamaha kit, just a table-top type deal.

Any ideas?

I bought a digital drum --Yamaha DD55, has 7 touch-sensitive pads & 2 foot pedals, general Midi ... It's pretty nice ... the bass-drum pedal sounds a little weak though IMO. For $150, it wasn't that bad ...

P.

Looks decent. I'd be using it to trigger my Zoom 234, so I'm not worried about it's sounds. As long as the pads are nice & sensitive, I'm good. Thanks.

Back