Drum overhead recording question

fris9

I'm using 2 ADK small condenser mics for overheads but I have a problem. I'm running all of my other mics (snare, kick, toms) into a Mackie mixer, but when I run the overheads through there there isn't enough gain (I guess) in the pre's to push them enough. I tested one through the Mackie with the input nearly cranked and ran the other one through my UA610 pre set at about 2 and a half, and there was no comparison, the UA blew it away. My question is, since the UA pre only has one input, I obviously need to find a 2 channel pre that can push those enough. Suggestions (on the cheap)? Thanks-

Just an FYI, I run another condenser out of the Mackie so I know the phantom power works. Do those small condensers take more? Is my money better spent buying 2 large condensers like an AT2020 or sticking with the small ones and forking over money for a 2 channel pre amp that can push them?

Interesting that you're not able to get enough gain when mic'ing drums.

My first questions are:what type of ADK mics are you using, and what model
of Mackie mixer?

Do you happen to have the padding (Attenuator) active on the Mackie when
comparing the gain to the UA610?

The Mackie is an 808m and i don't think it has a padding/attenuation button, unless I've completely missed it. The ADKs are Sc-2's. Again, I've had absolutely no problems with any other mic, compressor or dynamic, except for these. I've switched the mics, same issue....cables are good, etc.

Make sure the pad switch is set to zero on the mic.

Other than that, I guess those mics are typically lower output signal than most?

I'll try that tonight. I guess the output could be that, I just can't believe that the difference in the Mackie's gain and the UA is that pronounced.

I'll try that tonight. I guess the output could be that, I just can't believe that the difference in the Mackie's gain and the UA is that pronounced.

Sure, a preamp on a prosumer console vs. a quasi-boutique dedicated preamp? Headroom is everything, and it costs money.

Yeah, I get that, but I've never been close to having any similar problems with other mics, condenser or dynamic, on that Mackie.

With sdc on drums, any preamp should give satisfactory gain. Furthermore, drums are a very loud instrument. You shouldn't need much gain (if any) at the preamp, even in a mixer. I've used sdc mics on drums and had to pad them to keep them from clipping with zero preamp gain.

I say something is wrong with the mic, cable, mixer, or perhaps a switch somewhere. Test it a few other ways before you toss the mixer into the dumpster.

Yep, phantom power is on and working because it's powering another condenser. I'm really at a loss here.

Yep, phantom power is on and working because it's powering another condenser. I'm really at a loss here.

And you've tried switching to a known good channel, using a known good cable?

(I've had cables which drop the phantom lead. They work fine on dynamics, but not for phantom powered condensors/ribbons)/

Most mixers have a pre-amp and a fader. That powered mixer only has a volume knob, so my guess is the gain is "pre set" at a middle of the road value
that works with most micrphones. But not yours.:spank:

Back