Drum OH questions

virtualvisions

Euphonix rocks
I'm on the path of getting good drum OHs, and I've read a little about all three here, but I was wondering if anyone knew which they thought would be my best bet for getting a good drum sound (and I wouldn't be upgrading anytime soon after this)

Currently I have the AT2041 pack, so I could get another one of those and then use the 2020s or the 2021s for OHs, or I could get new ones altogether.
I was wondering if I should get another 2041 pack or I was looking at a pair of JM27s, or should I just drop both altogether and spend a little money and get maybe a pair of sE1As?

-vv

I have the JM 27's. I think they are pretty decent but I don't have anything to compare them to. I know that when I set them up "recorderman" style they work well. I have also used the JM 27's on acoustic guitar and once again I think they worked fine.
I seem to recall reading that the 2020's make pretty good overheads.

I'd get another of the AT Studio Packs with the 2020 and 2021. (Which I recently did)
I just mic'd a kit this past Saturday with 2 2021's for OverHeads, and 1 2020 in front of the kit .A simple set up that sounded BIG. Can't go wrong for $150.

APL is now apparently doing full time press for Naiant microphones. :rolleyes:

They are inexpensive, omni, and made by an erstwhile HR member.

Beyond that, I cannot see any specific reason why the MSH mics would make particularly good drum overheads. In fact, if the OP's room isn't up to snuff, omnis could be exactly the wrong mics.

APL - at least Big Ray will occasionally offer up something besides the BG-1. Maybe you could recommend another manufacturer's mic pro forma.

Last edited:
A common overhead for drums are octava mc012s. They have interchangeable capsules. Those are good enough microphones that you will never get rid of them.

Hm... how is the MS-4 tube mic? Its the first time I've seen those and they look pretty neat. May order one or two of those here.

Anyway... I use a matched pair of omni mics for overheads, Audix TR-40s (I believe Harvey Gerst owns one or two of these as well). I like them and normally use them as overheads and as a matched pair for acoustic instruments.

apl said:
Also consider the MSH-1O from Naiant. Some excellent drum recordings have been made with them.
How should I position my msh-1O's as overheads?...I am pretty new to recording and have only worked with cardioid overheads and so I don't know how to position omni's very well.

Lexus507 said:
How should I position my msh-1O's as overheads?...I am pretty new to recording and have only worked with cardioid overheads and so I don't know how to position omni's very well.

Although you can do a coincident pair with omnis (XY, etc.), it will not have much stereo spread. I think the "Recorderman Method" is great with the MSH-1's. If you want wider, a typical spaced pair with one mic above the junction of the snare/hat/left tom and the other near the junction of the ride/floor tom will work, too.

scrubs said:
Although you can do a coincident pair with omnis (XY, etc.), it will not have much stereo spread. I think the "Recorderman Method" is great with the MSH-1's. If you want wider, a typical spaced pair with one mic above the junction of the snare/hat/left tom and the other near the junction of the ride/floor tom will work, too.
Thanks...I was thinking about trying the recorderman method next time anyways so I will definitely bust of the msh's! Unfortunately I probably wont have any kind of set to mic for a while.

Back