Drum module output confusion

MrKwik

**will man ho for gear**
First of all I know less than nothing about MIDI and only slightly more about recording in general so please be gentle.

I have an Alesis D4 module that I would like to try out with Drumagog. My understanding is that Drumagog can send MIDI info to the D4 to trigger the sounds in the module right? My question is this...how do the sounds get back into the computer? Does it go back throught the MIDI input on my soundcard or do I have to use a pair of analog inputs on the soundcard to record the new drum track or what? And along the same lines, if I trigger the module externally with trigger pads, does the sound go through the MIDI port or just the MIDI channel information? I have read all the tutorials I can find but I am really foggy on this. If it makes any difference, my soundcard is a Delta1010LT.

Are you controlling the sounds from the module via a keyboard/synth or are you playing the notes in via the software on your computer?

Well the only way that I have used it so far is triggered with vdrum pads. I would like to experament with using drumagog to trigger it.

You sound like you're in need of some midi basics.

Sound on Sound had a very good series of beginner-level articles a few years back --- here's a link to part one and you'll find part two here.

As I'm sure Paul White (the author of the linked articles) will tell you, midi is a control language and carries no audio.

Back