Drum Mic's! HELP!!

episg

Right.

Would this work for recording a kit?

2 Small Diaphragm Condensers as overheads (need to buy them!)
Mic on snare (AT mb2K, similar to sm57, cheaper!)
Mic on bass drum (SM58? Thats all i've got! I could get a bass mic tho.. if needs be)

Thanx

erm yes

maybe you could tell us more about the rest of your set up BUT in answer to your question~~yes

Hey...

yes ..all those mics would work, as would the mixer and your interface.

But more importantly when recording drums, is :

-how well the drums are tuned
-how good the room sounds
-how good the player is

Hope this helps,

-LIMiT

LIMiT said:
Hey...

yes ..all those mics would work, as would the mixer and your interface.

But more importantly when recording drums, is :

-how well the drums are tuned
-how good the room sounds
-how good the player is

Hope this helps,

-LIMiT

might also research the Glyn Johns technique for over head mic'ing

I have that samson package, I really like it. It has the tom and snare mic drummounts which is a plus cause it makes micing a breeze. It's pretty cheap too.

A kick Mic would be very neccisary I would say. Also, the room sounds will be a very big deal with a four mic technique. I have used this technique and do like it. Try putting the overheads close to each other then angleing away from each other. This was the placement that seemed to work for us. Also, possibly instead of buying the condensors buy another sm58 with the kick mic to use as an overhead. I have achieved very usable results this way.

Overall with this sort of situation, you will need to spend time to make sure you have a good drum sound, cause you can't tweak it so much. Also, experiment with the mic placements. I know I spent like 6 hours working with a similar setup to get a good drum sound, but it was very worth it. If you want a sample pm me and I will give you the link.

Back