Drum mics, any glaring problems or suggestions

Goldcan

Doing some research I've come up with this please let me know if you note any problems or better suggestions.

Overheads: AKG 451s (x2)
Kick: AKG D112
Snare: Beyer M201
Toms: Sennheiser MD421II's (x2, rack and floor)
Room: Audio Technica AT4033

I have no more than 7 channels to dedicate to this, and this was the best I could come up with.

Any help is appreciated thanks.

You buying these new specifically for that role? or do you have them already?

If you are buying them new, are they solely for drums or would you use them (or like to use them) for other instruments.

drummerdude666 said:
You buying these new specifically for that role? or do you have them already?

If you are buying them new, are they solely for drums or would you use them (or like to use them) for other instruments.

New or used, I do not currently own them, and they would be specifically for drums. Unless of course, once in a blue moon I'd use them for something else, but the intent is for nothing but drums.

I've never heard the 451's. So I can't comment, but I love the sm81s or mc012s on a smaller budget. I highly recomment the mc012s great value. 100 bucks for a pair at GC russian models. Never been upset with them. But other than that your list seems fine the Md421s are great for toms as a bonus the are some of the best guitar cab mics around.

good choices. i use 451eb's on overheads about half the time.

the only thing you may want to try is instead of the 421's...try another set of small diaphragms with a smoother top for toms. when the 451's get too top-y for a particular set or song...switch those to the toms and the smoother jobs to the overheads.

the 012's Juggernaut suggested would be a good choice...as would anything 'km84-y.'

I'd also suggest the 4047 for room instead of the 4033. i just think it's a 'better' mic...but you know...opinions. :eek:

Mike

All very well respected dynamics you have listed and should work well for other duties should the arise. I don't know about the condensors because I've never used those.

Juggernaut said:
I've never heard the 451's. So I can't comment, but I love the sm81s or mc012s on a smaller budget. I highly recomment the mc012s great value. 100 bucks for a pair at GC russian models. Never been upset with them. But other than that your list seems fine the Md421s are great for toms as a bonus the are some of the best guitar cab mics around.

Thanks, you might have also inadvertantly saved me some more searching with reference to the MD421's and guitar cabs. Thanks.

bigtoe said:
good choices. i use 451eb's on overheads about half the time.

the only thing you may want to try is instead of the 421's...try another set of small diaphragms with a smoother top for toms. when the 451's get too top-y for a particular set or song...switch those to the toms and the smoother jobs to the overheads.

the 012's Juggernaut suggested would be a good choice...as would anything 'km84-y.'

I'd also suggest the 4047 for room instead of the 4033. i just think it's a 'better' mic...but you know...opinions. :eek:

Mike

The 4047 looks like it'd fit into my budget (instead of the 4033), what can you tell me about it? I saw a few post saying "It's the AT mic that isn't an AT mic".

Thanks again.

HangDawg said:
All very well respected dynamics you have listed and should work well for other duties should the arise. I don't know about the condensors because I've never used those.

I've seen them recommended a few places, I know Blue Bear uses them (not that he's God, but I guess it means they aren't shitty).

Back