Drum Microphones

Ty

I'm looking to upgrade my drum Microphones and just wanted to see what you all think,
I'm open for any suggestions as long as it stays in my price rang.
At the moment I have:
Bass Drum - AKG D112
Snare - SHURE SM57
Toms: 8" 10" 12" - SHURE SM58
Toms 14" 16" - AKG D3500
Overheads - RODE NT3 (x2)

I also have a Audio Technica AT4047/SV with I use as a room Microphone, I will be keeping this one.

What I have narrowed it down to is:
Bass Drum - Audix D6
Snare - BEYERDYNAMIC M201TG
Toms: 8" 10" 12" - EV ND/468 N/DYM
Toms 14" 16" - Audio Technica ATM25 or AUDIX D4
Need some help with the Overheads, what I'm looking at is:
Oktava MK 012
Studio Projects C4
SE Electronics SE 1A
with one would you take from these three?

My taste in overheads is always changing. Out of the mics you listed, I only have experience with the Octavas. I have a Sound Room matched pair with the three capsules for each. Nice mics for sure. They're the roundest sounding mics that I'd use for overheads. Smooth on top. In the past I've been fond of AT-4033's as overheads. Lately I've been sticking with Neumann KM-184's or Earthworks SR-71's. I still like the D-112 for kick however.

You might want to consider some Sennheiser E604's for toms....They are just over $300 for 3 of them...but I scored a 3 pack on ebay for $207 and I got a 4th one about 2 months later for only $36....all work perfectly...I also vote for the MK-012's...but again...from your list, that is the only ones I have used...

Track Rat said:
My taste in overheads is always changing. Out of the mics you listed, I only have experience with the Octavas. I have a Sound Room matched pair with the three capsules for each. Nice mics for sure. They're the roundest sounding mics that I'd use for overheads. Smooth on top. In the past I've been fond of AT-4033's as overheads. Lately I've been sticking with Neumann KM-184's or Earthworks SR-71's. I still like the D-112 for kick however.

Neumann and Earthworks are sadly way above my limit,
so it looks like I will be going for the Oktavas.
the D112 is ok but I find it needs a lot of EQing to get what
I want from it, the D112 and D12 are the only bass drum Mic
I have used, from what people are saying I think the Audix D6
is just what I need.

thajeremy said:
You might want to consider some Sennheiser E604's for toms....They are just over $300 for 3 of them...but I scored a 3 pack on ebay for $207 and I got a 4th one about 2 months later for only $36....all work perfectly...I also vote for the MK-012's...but again...from your list, that is the only ones I have used...

I have used the Sennheiser E604 live before on toms and Congas and it is good Mic,
as 80% of the time this setup will be used for recording I think the combination
of EV ND/468 on the small toms and Audio Technica ATM25 on the big toms
will sound better, what do you think?

Ty said:
What I have narrowed it down to is:
Bass Drum - Audix D6
Snare - BEYERDYNAMIC M201TG
Toms: 8" 10" 12" - EV ND/468 N/DYM
Toms 14" 16" - Audio Technica ATM25 or AUDIX D4
Need some help with the Overheads, what I'm looking at is:
Oktava MK 012
Studio Projects C4
SE Electronics SE 1A
with one would you take from these three?

The D6 isn't going to be an improvement or big difference in comparison to your D112. Try it, but I'll say that I have and I still like the D112 better. I've heard the old D12 (which the D112 succeeds) is real good though. I would say don't bother here...you've got a good kick mic...work on placement rather than replacement (just what I think...).

AMEN on the M201TG....best mic I've heard on snare in this kinda price range. I heard a quote the other day here...laughed so hard...something like: "Beyer M201...if the SM57 were a mic, this is what it would sound like". I use an M201TG on top, and a 57 on the bottom...try that combo out if you wanna fuller/bigger snare.

57's are fine for higher toms in my opinion...haven't really worked with the other mics you're mentioning...but I would say that my low tom experience has greatly been helped by picking up an MD421. Haven't heard those EV's, but I wonder if you're going to get a huge improvement...maybe see if you can compare them on different toms. I like my 421 a lot, but I like the 57 on a 8/10/12" better still.

I'd take the MK012's because they're killer on Acoustic's and OH's. They're versatile...However, and someone already mentioned it, try out some M/LDC's as overheads...get a second 4047 or a pair of 4033's...They make a big difference. I use Room mics too, but I found I didn't need to use them with the 4033's up there. Final though here...get rid of the SDC's you have now (rode's?), replace them with the MK012's for great acoustic mics and use them on your hats and ride. Then either add a 4047 or a pair of 4033's (don't really know which would be better) for general overheads. The reason I say this because you're running 5 toms, which means your kit is huge, and my best guess is that you have anywhere between 3 crashes and 6 crashes plus at least a couple different effect cymbals. The Hat's and Ride will cut through better close miced and the M/LDC's will allow for more definition and clarity for your kit's overall cymbal and tom balance.

By the way, check out this site for some good techniques for micing a kit. I started to learn from here and it's pretty invaluable. http://www.saecollege.de/reference_material/

Hope I'm not a hinderance but rather a help.

Jacob

my usual set up:
Kick - D112 (I'd personally stick with the D112)
Snare - Beyer 201 (Good choice)
Toms - E604s / MD421s (I concur, also cheak out the 421s if they are in your price range, I use them on floor toms)
O/Hs - MK012s (These over the other mics mentioned IMO, like jko said, good on acoustics too.)
Room - R121 (My recent addition)

I've still yet to try the Yamaha Sub-kick, I've heard some good feedback
might be worth cheaking out..?

jkokura said:
The reason I say this because you're running 5 toms, which means your kit is huge, and my best guess is that you have anywhere between 3 crashes and 6 crashes plus at least a couple different effect cymbals. The Hat's and Ride will cut through better close miced and the M/LDC's will allow for more definition and clarity for your kit's overall cymbal and tom balance.Jacob

3 Crashes, 2 Chinas, 2 Splashes, Ride and Hi-Hat,
the last recording I did I had a Rode NT3 on Ride and Hi-Hat
and the AT4047/SV in the middle over the cymbals,
my biggest problem is the small toms, I have heard that
the old EV I think it was the 401 was a good tom mic,
so I was thinking of giving the new one a try, also the swivel
head on them would make placement easy.

Back