drum micraphones

Mikeeley

hey i am planning on getting:

sennheiser MD421 MKII U4 Mics. for toms (right now i have pg56s and they sound very thin and i was told to get the sennheiser and they are really good) *do you agree??*

also i own:
a shure sm57 and a pg56. for snare
AKG D112. for bass drum

i am also going to be running all of this through a presonus DigiMAX LT Mic Pre Interface.

but anyways

i was wondering what a good mic would be for recording cymbals.(ex. high hats, ride, so on) a long with overheads (i pretty much have some oktavas picked out for overheads but im not positive on it)

I've used 421's on toms and really liked the results. I have a pair of old 421's and wouldn't trade them for anything. In addition to your tom's, I think you'll find they are a great utility mic for about anything you want to use them on.

For overheads, I have always liked sm-81's. Not sure about the oktava's since I haven't had the chance to use them, but I have heard good things about them.

word on the street is that the oktava 012s are awesome on toms, you might want to think about that as well. they sure are cheaper than 421s!

anyway, i dont use as many mics as you are planning on using... and i suspect we have different ideas as to what drums should sound like... but anyway, here is my advice:

i love ribbons for OHs. beyer m160s, m260s and if you are rich the coles (i have only got to play with them once.. but man they were nice)

my other love for OHs are earthworks.. i use the SRO cause it is CHEAP. only if my room is soundin nice though!

and i never ever mic cymbals and totally dont understand why anyone does UNLESS you are looking for a specific effect. ok, i admit it. sometimes i do mic cymbals, but only if the cymbals are REALLY important to the sound...

anyway, i guess i will have to say that there is no great way to answer your question. its all a matter of personal choice.

I think "no budget" means he hasnt really thought about how much a good pair of overheads are going to cost.

Back