Drum micing for demo - tips?

TimLyons

Hey everyone - my band is trying to get some real drums into our recordings. We've got a 4 mic setup - two Behringer ECM8000s as overheads, an Audio Technica ATM25 (I think - it's the next one up from the Pro 25) on bass, and a Shure SM58 (ball end screwed off) for snare.
We've gotten a kick ass sound on all the toms and cymbals, but when it comes to bass and snare - the sound is muffled, lifeless, and all in all "garage" sounding. I've tried EQing at the board, etc. But not much seems to help it - the bass and snare give it a definite lo-fi quality, which is of course much MUCH different than the pristine sounding cymbals and toms.

Now, my questions are these: Should I take the proximity effect of the SM58 and the extended bass in comparison to the 57 into account when I'm placing the thing? How should a snare mic be placed? How should the AT be placed? Should the bass drum be tuned differently? Would tightening up the beater head and loosening the outer head give it a snappier sound? What sort of EQ should I give the bass and snare?

To give an idea of the application - it will be used for metal (bastard child of Alice in Chains and the Black Label Society), so I need a pretty full sounding, ballsy sound out of it. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Tim Lyons
Lead Guitar/Vocals, L.I.E.
http://www.mp3.com/L_I_E_

PS. Sorry if this is the wrong forum for this sort of thing, but it was either this or "recording forum" and since this was very mic specific (asking advice on the dynamic mics being used and their behavior more than anything), I figured this'd be the place.

What I've noticed is that with drums, more than anything the instrument itself is most often the culprit. I would definitely look at replacing or tuning the heads and experiment with it all.

I totally agree with Chessrock.

This is especially true with the kick. I find it hard to get a great kick sound unless I use two mics on it. One for the thwap and one for the umm. The kick really needs to sound monstrous in the room to get a decent sound to tape (or whatever).

I've moved my ECM's from over the drums to out in the room. With this being said, WHERE you put the drums in the room is really key. Move the kick around the room until you find the spot where it explodes. Then move it some more just in case there's an even better spot. It's worth the trouble.

And move the snare mic away from the snare a little. Let it breathe. Try pointing it at the side of the drum, too. And most importantly, tune it, tune it, tune it! Don't just tighten it here and there. Take the heads off, clean out all the shit, start from the beginning and get it sounding killer in the room. And also, get it sounding killer in the room. And lastly, the drums should sound absolutely killer in the room before you start setting up mics.

Gotta jump on the band wagon here. Look to the instrument. Change the heads and tune. How the drummer plays has a big impact on the sound too.

yeah....as far as the kick drum -

try taking off that front head completely. Esp if you don't have a hole in the front head....I find I get the bass kick sound with the mic back from the set a bit. Don't just cram it right inside the thing...but, back it off a couple feet to let the bass waves develop...and you will get a better "punch".

Miking the kick on the beater side can also give you a really good result.

As far as the snare...like whoever said - back the mic off of it a bit. Your overheads should be giving you a nice mix of snare to start with...so make sure that 58 has room to breathe...and make sure that it is pointing towards the center of the snare, and not towards the outside (unless you want that ringing sound)

drum micing

If you want more attack, use a harder beater with a looser batter head. If you want more of a boom or bung, tighten both heads more and use a softer beater. I agree with what some of the others have said, GIVE YOUR BASS DRUM SOME ROOM TO BREATHE. keep the mic no further tHAN A COUPLE FEET AWAY FROM YOUR DRUM THOUGH.

your overheads should be about 16 inches above your highest cymbals.

YOUR SNARE MIC should be pointed as much to the center of the drum as possible. do not put it to close because you will choke the sound (same with the bass drum). ive found with low budget mics (radio shack, lol!) that when you clamp a mic to your snare, you get a lot of unwanted ring if you do a really strong rimshot. LOWER THE HEIGHT OF YOUR SNARE DRUM (it may be uncomfortable but youll get used to it!) when u lower it u can still get a powewrful snare sound by your arm slightly hitting your leg when you hit the drum. YOU WONT NOTICE THAT YOURE NOT DOING RIMSHOTS IN THE FINAL MIX anyways, so dont worry!
make sure your mic doesnt point at the side of the head because again u will get unwanted ring that is louder than the actually wanted snare sound. it may be hard to place your snare mic where its comfortable because u may hit it, but place it coming from below your toms making sure no tom sound leaks into it by tilting the mic slightly downwards.

GOOD LUCK, AND REMEMBER... YOU LEARN YOUR BEST BY EXPERIMENTING! YOU MAY ACCIDENTALLY FIND TECHNIQUES ON YOUR OWN THAT U LIKE, SO GET GOIN'!

Man...I must be old school, cuz I get a great bass drum sound with both heads on, and with a little bit of muffling on each side. I think the key is not to overtighten the front head, but don't keep it loose either, and make sure you got a bit of muffling, I use a towel, touching both heads. And as far as snare ringing, try a little piece of folded paper towel taped to the head...or a double ply head if you are not using one.

Recording Master?? Dude, why would I want to hit my leg every time I hit the snare?? Have you done a whole session like this?? OUCH MAN!! :)

Beezoboy

Back