Drum micing dilemma!

Ok, So I did a mic test today to see which mic I would like to use best out of a few I have to mic drums. I simply places the mics very close in a row in front of the kit and did a track each to my 4 track tape reel and I listened to them very carefully, and I don't know which one I should use.

Mic A. Electro-Voice Cardinal:
nice high end and low end response, but lacks the characteristic, for lack of better a better term, crunch, of the sony mic.

Mic B. Vintage Sony C-38B:
High end, and mids have a wonderful presence that is better than everything else, the low end is not bad either. However, the highs are also razor sharp, and have to be rolled off.

Mic C. Oktava MKL 2500
Very soft, although not defined, punchy and pleasant. Perhaps the least appealing, but most practical.

I'm in a toss up because the Sony is very sharp, and when rolled off sounds a lot more like the Oktava, and I only have one of them (getting another will be hard and/or expensive). The Oktava is perhaps sculptable, and is very warm and soft edged, but is definitely not as exciting to listen to as the Sony is, getting a matched pair of this mic will be very expensive. The cardinal sounds good, and is also the only mic that's affordable and accessible to get a matched pair, but it's again, not as exciting, slightly hollow.

WHAT SHOULD I DO!

Just to be clear....
...are you planning to use a single mic for the whole kit, and if so, where were you thinking of putting that mic exactly..out in front low/high...over the top and in front of kit or inside the kit...?

Position will change how they sound....

Also, rolling off a bit of the highs isn't going to cause a problem later on.

Everyone here will pretty much tell you to try them all. And see which you like the most. And remember eq is your friend.

Well, I like the sound of monaural drum micing, but I'd like to have the option of both. With the Sony mic, unless I run into massive amounts of money, is not an option, even to buy another OKTAVA, Is going to be pricey.

As for EQ, I have not invested in any EQ that excedes the ones that come with PT8, and I find that with these eq's, they don't sound musical, they have their purpose, but the less I have to eq something the better.

Is there anyway to make the Cardinal mic more defined? Also, has anyone tried using ribbon mics as drum overheads?

Thanks.

Is there anyway to make the Cardinal mic more defined? Also, has anyone tried using ribbon mics as drum overheads?

Thanks.

Ribbon mics can make fantastic overheads, depending on the sound you're going for.

They're generally figure-8, so they do capture some room, so if you're working in a room with low ceilings, they might not be best.

What preamp are you using?

Is the question in this thread about buying another mic for stereo?

Not sure what you're trying to ask...

if I was tracking drums with one mic I would use an omni.
why?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is about buying another mic for a stereo pair. It is also out of frustration with my new oktava not sounding as good off the bat as my sony.

I've been testing the mics all day now, and I got the Oktava sounding similar to the sony by means of the simple 3 band eq on the mixing board. I am not using any preamps, besides whatever is in a really cheap behringer mixer, and whatever is in my tascam 22-4 reel to reel.

My room is somewhat soundproofed (I have styrofoam sheets all over the walls, but the ceiling is uncovered) so would that help the ribbons sound better?

I am going for a very natural sound, not hi fi nor lo fi, in between, dynamic, think 1960's hifi. Dap-Tone studios sounding.

why?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This post is about buying another mic for a stereo pair. It is also out of frustration with my new oktava not sounding as good off the bat as my sony.

Did you say this in the begining?

why?

My room is somewhat soundproofed (I have styrofoam sheets all over the walls, but the ceiling is uncovered) so would that help the ribbons sound better?

Styrofoam does nothing for the sound.

why?

I am going for a very natural sound, not hi fi nor lo fi, in between, dynamic, think 1960's hifi. Dap-Tone studios sounding.

To get a natural sound the room is very important, when you get the room right then a good pair of mics will give you a natural sound.

Cheers

alan.

Did you say this in the begining?

Styrofoam does nothing for the sound.

To get a natural sound the room is very important, when you get the room right then a good pair of mics will give you a natural sound.

Cheers

alan.

What do you mean styrofoam does nothing for the sound, styrofoam specifically or sound proofing in general.

What do you mean styrofoam does nothing for the sound, styrofoam specifically or sound proofing in general.

Styrofoam is used to line cool rooms, it does no have acoustic properties, bass travels almost stright through it and it reflects the hi freq back at you. It does not sound proof it stops heat / cold. It is full of air. I wish I had a $1 for every time someone told me they were going to use Styrofoam to soundproof their studio, it is a complete wast of time.

Are you sure we are talking about the same stuff, or have you got acoustic foam?

Cheers

Alan.

Actually, it's great to know, there was a lot of styrofoam lying around in my brothers house, so I figured id use it for sound proofing my room. It did do one thing, and that's fix the nasty drywall ping. I never knew it would be bad for sound proofing though, I'm surprised. I have been recording for years, but as you may be able to tell never took it too seriously (at least as far as getting professional sound). What should I use instead (on a budget), hang curtains?

In other news, I actually have always had 2 of those Sony mics, but one never worked, turns out it was a bad XLR connection. Tonight I fixed it, and although these mics look old and beat up, they sound (to my ear), fairly well matched, and great (as stated above). I'm excited to start using them.

Sound proofing and acoustic questions are answered here dozens of times a week, read through and you will get all the answers.

Cheers

alan.

Sound proofing and acoustics are separate and barely related disciplines.

All materials, including styrofoam, have acoustic properties. I doubt the styrofoam is contributing anything positive to the acoustic character of the OP's room.

Plus, styrofoam is a horrific fire hazard.

Sound proofing and acoustics are separate and barely related disciplines.

All materials, including styrofoam, have acoustic properties. I doubt the styrofoam is contributing anything positive to the acoustic character of the OP's room.

Plus, styrofoam is a horrific fire hazard.

I will say that it sounds better than the drywall, which reflects in a very nasty way.

Back